Geocoin auction to help a friend

rasj & Stacey

I'm selling a few geocoins from my collection to help out a friend / co-worker. His daughter had a bicycle accident and suffered severe brain injuries. I'm not going to go into all of the details, but it doesn't look good for her. With everyones thoughts and prayers, and a miracle or two, she just may make it though. Her father, my friend, is not doing very well either, as you can imagine. We are taking up a collection to help him with his bills until he is able to come back to work. He hasn't left the hospital since he got "the phone call" about his daughter. That's been almost a week now. He has set up camp right there in the waiting room and refuses to leave. I don't have many coins of great value, but I am putting a few of them up for auction to try and help him out. Please bid if you are interested. IF you don't want the coins, then please just keep him and his daughter in your thoughts and prayers. Her family has set up a webpage to keep everyone updated on her condition. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here, but if you PM me, I'll send you the link to it.

Here are the coins I have if anyone in interested in bidding. Thanks!

Project A.P.E. silver

Mail Jeep LE

I have some coins I can send you to auction if that would be helpful. One is the LE cactus coin that Castleman just had for sale and I'll send you a couple of of LE CITO Around the World - nickel "event first" coins not sold at the Caching Place. I did order some extra's. I also have a few more common coins that I would part with.

As unfair as it may seem, I think that you will have to get Groundspeak's permission to post this as it is a commercial thread.

Why do you say that? The coins are trackable....

That is horrible news that makes me shudder. Best of luck to them.

Gosh, what do you say? Thats Horrible :laughing: , How old is she? I must say what a sad time in their life it must be, I Definately will be sending some thoughts for her.

I ride a bike often and never wear a helmet :laughing: Sad that it takes a tragedy like this, but I will be gettin one soon!

I will also round up some coins for the auction! Best wishes to the Family!

I just thought that I would add this little note.... My brother took a very hard fall in November of last year, suffered severe brain trauma, had to go by Flight for Life to Rapid City, SD. Things were very, very bad for him for several weeks, he had surgeries to remove clots, he was in a coma for nearly a month. We all feared the worst would happen and he would die, and if he didn't, he would be in a bad way for the rest of his life. Long story short, today he is doing wonderfully...he is walking, talking, getting around by himself...something that few of us thought would ever happen. Miracles do happen, tell your friend that he has many people here in Wyoming saying prayers for his little one. I have asked my churches prayer chain to make a special plea on her behalf. Good luck to them and to you.... Gary and the kids of team5150

You know, I have always considered myself a "man's man." I like to think that I'm a pretty tough dude. Heck, I did Tube Torcher II with kidney stones and a stent in! But as I sit here this morning and read everyone's posts, your emails to me, and what you have done for my auctions.... I am really tearing up here. I am really at a loss for words. I don't think that there are any words that I can come up with to let you all know how greateful I am for your kindness. I've sat here and stared at this page now for over 10 minutes, trying to find the words to express my feelings, but no matter how long I sit here and think, the words just do not form. All I can say is thank you for your help! I know that Neil is going to be just as overwhelmed as I am when he sees what this community has done for him.

I'll try to answer a few questions, and give you guys some more information. First off, his daughter, Skye is 26 years old. His daughter is his best friend, and he is so very proud of her and her direction in life. She is all he ever talks about. Anytime she takes a trip to some other country to hike a trail, or climb a mountain, he is either there with her physically, or in spirit. His eyes light up and sparkle and he grins from ear to ear anytime her name is mentioned. I don't think anyone could be more proud of someone than he is of his daughter. They share a relationship that most parents only dream about. They hike together, bike together, take trips together. They do geocache some, but they never log any online. They are simply in it for the beautiful places that geocaching takes them.

Skye was employed with a company that builds mountain bike trails around the country. She is an avid outdoorswoman, that loves to hike, climb, bike and anything else outdoors. She moved to the beautiful mountains of Asheville, NC so that she could be closer to what she loved.

She always wears her helmet when she rides her bike. Always. Except for the day that she had her accident. She was just running to the grocery store to pick up a few things, and her boyfriend was riding with her on a seperate bike. She attached her trailer to her bike and they went to the store. On her way back, she somehow lost control of the bike, and fell off. She never had time to put her hands out to help break her fall. She took the full impact of the fall on her head. She was a mile from the hospital, and there just happened to be a brain surgeon in the emergency room when she came in. 45 minutes after her fall, she was being operated on.

They initially gave her a 20% chance to survive, and that hasn't changed very much, but she has been making small improvements since then. Her family set up a carepage to keep everyone informed of her struggle, and there is also a photogallery there with pictures of her before her accident. I will gladly share the website with anyone interested. I will post here the latest update so everyone will know her current condition.

April 02, 2007 at 07:46 AM EST

Skye's reflexive movements have continued over the last 24 hours. She moved her fingers, legs, and mouth, and got goose bumps when the nurses ran their finger across her arm. There is a particular movement that nurses noted (bending of the arm at the elbow) that indicates a slightly higher level of cognitive function. Although no one has physically seen her do it, the nurses say that it has happened several times. Additionally, Skye's breathing is almost entirely unassisted, and last night Neil and Kate had to make a big decision related to removing Skye's respirator. They could either remove it completely and allow her to try to breathe through her mouth on her own, or do a tracheotomy that would almost ensure her breathing. Doctors have said that there are ways to keep Skye alive, but there is also a danger that in that life, her mind could be lost. This is a place they have referred to as "no mans land". However, because of Skye's recent and unexpected improvements, Neil and Kate decided to have the tracheotomy. They are always cognizant of these decisions in relation to the quality of Skye's life, and doctors admit that this could give her just the time that she needs to heal. The Tracheotomy was scheduled for 8:30 this morning, we will bring you more updates as soon as they come in.

Again, thank you to everyone that has helped by praying, sending your thoughts, and donating / bidding to help this family. I am just too overwhelmed right now to post more.

Sounds Like things are lookin up, but such a long ways to go.

Boy nothin leaves a lump in your stomach worse than a tradgedy like this one- I have viewed her page and am blown away by the amount of support by everyone there- 166 logs of her friends and family Praying for a miracle... and a miracle is in desperate need here.

As much as I can say to send thoughts and prayers...this one really needs some help. I will do all I can to muster up whatever I can to send good energy to Skye- it is so sad to see something like this happen to who sounds like such an excellent person. She is only 3 years younger than me and knowing that she is an avid Bike rider shakes me even further.

Not much else to say but She really needs our help. I will be thinking of her often and will do a special prayer for her tonight...even though I am not religious, the "Divine Powers that be" work in funny ways.

I am also diggin up a couple more coins- I have a Geonut and an All in One I am sending, its all packaged up, but I will add a Credit Card and somethin else too. But most of all, the thoughts will be strong and hopefully recieved well.

My absolute best wishes to Skye!...and her family

Thank you all for your tremendous support! I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Geocachers are some of the greatest people alive. I find it amazing that something as simple as a GPS unit, or metal coin is what brings you all together in one place. :lol:

Skye has made some improvements over the last day or two, and it is significant enough that I wanted to share it here with all of you. I dare you to read this and not have a big smile on your face afterwards. :lol:

April 03, 2007 at 09:16 AM EST

Yesterday's tracheotomy procedure was a success. Skye is now breathing entirely on her own. She continues to move her arm at the elbow, and her doctors say that they have never seen any patient with the severity of Skye's head injury show improvement like they're seeing. In fact, they say if she continues to improve at the same rate over the next three days, they will likely step down her care level from Intensive to Critical. There are many issues that Skye still needs to overcome, including the clot in her frontal lobe, but this news is HUGE! This is the same person who 3 days ago had an almost 0% chance of survival, and yet the rules of this game appear to be breaking. Thank you ALL for your continued love and prayers!

Also,

Neil finally left the hospital yesterday evening for a much deserved break. He wen't home, got cleaned up and took in part of a Penguins hockey game before returning to the hospital. His spirits have been lifted by Skye's recent improvements, and he is doing a lot better as well.

Thank you all again for your support of this family! I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on her progress for as long as the mods allow it.

I cannot relay what this thread does to me...given the situation Jacob is going thru. Too many emotions to write about and I share many of the same emotions your friend is going thru. I am happy to hear of some improvement!! I am praying for Skye and her whole family and soon others in my family will be too. I will email you immediately. Please continue to keep us posted. God Bless.

Even more good news today! She is beginning to come out of the coma, and the doctors will begin therapy with her next week. They will be moving her arms and legs, just to keep her muscles working. She has started opening one eye, and is making fantastic improvements! This is indeed a miracle, when just a few short days ago, she was given a 2% chance to survive the accident. All of her doctors are amazed at how well she is doing. Here is the latest update from her carepage. Keep those prayers coming, because it is definately working! :laughing:

April 04, 2007 at 04:06 PM EDT

Skye's movements have started to become more frequent, and last night, while Kate was in visiting with her, she opened one eye for a brief moment and then closed it. The nurses are continuing to see more signs of improvement, and today her surgeon said, "It looks like she is out of the woods as far as survival is concerned". Skye will likely move out of the ICU by this weekend, but in order to do so, they will need to wean her off of her blood pressure medication and remove her cranial pressure monitor, which should take at least 3 days. Skye's surgeon says that her road to recovery has begun, and the question that remains is how far, and how fast. We have truly seen a miracle happen this week, and believe another can happen with her recovery!

This is my first view of this thread. After working for 4 years in the Neurocritical Care Unit at the University of Utah Hospital, and seeing so many cases similar to this, I am deeply touched by this thread. I've seen so many people with head injuries go so many different directions. After starting from the beginning of the thread, I was very pleasantly surprised to read of Skye's recent improvements in Rasj's later posts. My personal and professional opinion is that this is nothing short of a miracle. My family and I will add Skye and her family/loved ones to our prayers.

Rasj, from what I know, you're a great guy. I've got a mailer full of coins that I was going to send you this afternoon for the trade we set up. I'll find a few extra coins to put in the mailer if you wouldn't mind adding a few more auctions. If I get a chance I'll take some pics first so that you can start the auctions before the coins arrive in SC.

Take Care,

Dave

First off I wanted to say I hope, really hope everything works out in the end. A few years ago a friend of my was riding his motorcycle and a car ran a stop sign and pulled right in front of him before he had time to do anything, he was only going about 30 miles an hour but he had no helmet on that day and flew of his bike and went head first into a telephone pole. The doctors at first gave him a 15% chance to live, then about 6 months later they say that he had about a 10% percent chance of walking again. After about two years he is back to his normal self and enjoying life again. So 20% is plenty enough to make it! It sounds like she enjoyed life so I am sure she will fight like hell to stick around! Keep your heads up.

Edited by Team Jsam

First off I wanted to say I hope, really hope everything works out in the end. A few years ago a friend of my was riding his motorcycle and a car ran a stop sign and pulled right in front of him before he had time to do anything, he was only going about 30 miles an hour but he had no helmet on that day and flew of his bike and went head first into a telephone pole. The doctors at first gave him a 15% chance to live, then about 6 months later they say that he had about a 10% percent chance of walking again. After about two years he is back to his normal self and enjoying life again. So 20% is plenty enough to make it! It sounds like se enjoyed live so I am sure she will fight like hell to stick around! Keep your heads up.

First off I wanted to say I hope, really hope everything works out in the end. A few years ago a friend of my was riding his motorcycle and a car ran a stop sign and pulled right in front of him before he had time to do anything, he was only going about 30 miles an hour but he had no helmet on that day and flew of his bike and went head first into a telephone pole. The doctors at first gave him a 15% chance to live, then about 6 months later they say that he had about a 10% percent chance of walking again. After about two years he is back to his normal self and enjoying life again. So 20% is plenty enough to make it! It sounds like se enjoyed live so I am sure she will fight like hell to stick around! Keep your heads up.

I don't know why I haven't seen this thread yet, but I am coming across it right now for the first time. What an amazing story! I am especially touched at the fact about how close their family is. These days that is one in a million! I will add your names to my prayer list, and keep the updates coming....I am very interested.

Thanks to a very generous prntr1 for requesting that the coins be relisted. You are the man! Here are the current auctions. I'll be putting a few more coins up this evening or tomorrow. Those are the coins donated to help Skye and her family. I can't thank those that donated enough for their generosity!

Mail Truck LE

Project A.P.E. silver

Here's the letest update on Skye.

April 07, 2007 at 10:16 AM EDT

Last night when Kate was in visiting, Skye opened both of her eyes for a moment and started to throw up. Kate immediately called Skye's nurses, and they decided to do another ct scan. The results of the scan were in just after midnight, and surgeons rushed Skye into emergency surgery. The scan showed that the clot in Skye's brain had broken loose and that she had started to once again have internal hemorrhaging. Surgeons were able to quickly remove all remnants of the clot which was great news. However, they were also faced with the challenge of stopping the bleeding. The surgery was ultimately a success, and although it took a bit longer for surgeons to find the source, they were able to, and Skye is now out of surgery and recovering once again in the ICU.

So what does this mean? This is essentially a lateral move for Skye with both Pro's and Con's. Skye's body will once again have to deal with the stress and healing related to surgery, as well as the unknown results of removing parts of her brain tissue during the surgery. Fortunately, she no longer has to worry about the clot in her frontal lobe. Also, Skye's first ct scan showed several positive elements that are still very significant. At one point surgeons were worried about damage to the left hemisphere of Skye's brain because of the swelling and shifting that took place after the injury to her right side. The scan showed that the swelling had decreased, and that the shifting had realigned itself with the proper mid line. Surgeons say that because of the improvement, there is likely little if any damage to the left hemisphere, which is good for Skye since she is naturally dominant in that hemisphere. All in all, Skye's surgery is a positive thing, and the Surgeons agree that they cannot make any accurate assessment of the accident's or surgery's effect on Skye's cognitive function or abilities. They say it is just something that we will all have to wait and see, after she wakes up.

Here's some of the donated coins if anyone wants to bid. I still have coins coming in and will be putting them up as soon as they arrive. Thanks to everyone that has donated coins or bid on them. Skye's family is truly blessed to have such a wonderful bunch of folks looking out for them. :)

2007 CITO Around the World LE

Mojave Desert LE

Zume & Jesse Geo40

Silver Pirate Treasure Map

Geopelli

Second 2007 CITO around the world LE

Latest Update from Last Night. Keep those prayers coming!

April 08, 2007 at 10:30 PM EDT

Earlier today Skye went in for a post surgery ct scan. The results showed that there was some very slight hemorrhaging in her brain, but nothing that was cause for immediate concern. Every surgery is extremely stressful on Skye's body, and the surgeons say the reason she was able to get through the last surgery so successfully, was because she had time to heal and have the swelling in her brain go down. Kate and Neil had the option to once again undergo surgery to stop the bleeding, but because there was no immanent danger, they felt it was the best decision to wait and allow Skye to rest and heal as much as possible.

After yesterday's surgery, doctors said that Skye's natural ability to stop bleeding had diminished, so they had to inject plasma to help assist her in this function. The plasma injections appear to be helping, as several areas of her body that were bleeding have now stopped. Also, as of this afternoon, her natural ability to stop bleeding has once again improved. Skye's cranial pressure is hovering around 15 and she is currently breathing with the assistance of the respirator. She is continuing to recover in ICU. In fact, earlier this afternoon, Kate put her hand in Skye's and asked her to squeeze her hand to let her know she was there. No sooner did the words leave her mouth than Skye's fingers tightened around her mom's. This is such a beautiful image of the awareness that Skye still has, the fight that is still in her, and the love that she has for her family and friends. Happy Easter everyone!

This is great news.

Come on people, lets bid these coins up. We all spend hundreds, some real fools :unsure: spend thousands of dollars on these trinkets. This girls parents are missing work, you think they are getting paid to sit at the hospital? Do something today that will make you feel better tomorrow.

No, we don't know her, probably will never meet her, does it really matter?. I see people getting excited over Fairy Coins and GSA coins and other feel good stories. Lets take the pay it forward theory another step and help this family out, it WILL make you feel good.

The Mail Jeep Geocoin has been paid for and I have asked that it be relisted on eBay. Best wishes to Skye for a speedy recovery. My entire family is praying for her and her family.

Tom

Way to go!!

Send me your address via PM, I have something for you as a "Pay it Forward" thank you.