using a palm Z22 and vista

bdhoun

I didn't get any repsonses to my question about hot syncing a palm z22 and cachemate under windows vista. It seems like the hot sync isn't supported yet. If I switch to some other configuration such as Plucker and GPX Spinner do you think I will have any better luck. I do like useing GSAK and Cachemate, but if they don't work with Vista yet, I would like to do something else to remain paperless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try right clicking on the Palm Desktop icon then click the "Run as Administrator" option. This seems to work for a lot of people. If this doesn't work and if you are the only one using the computer, then you can go to the control panel>User accounts and Family safety>User Accounts>Turn user account control on or off>Uncheck the box for user account control. Thiat is what worked for me. I wish that Palm would get the patch for the .pdb files.....

Try right clicking on the Palm Desktop icon then click the "Run as Administrator" option. This seems to work for a lot of people. If this doesn't work and if you are the only one using the computer, then you can go to the control panel>User accounts and Family safety>User Accounts>Turn user account control on or off>Uncheck the box for user account control. Thiat is what worked for me. I wish that Palm would get the patch for the .pdb files.....

I would recommend the "Run as Administrator" option...the latter option will potential open yourself to some security exposure.

Since the Palm Desktop software doesn't work properly with the Windows XP Media Edition software that came on my DELL laptop :ph34r: , I wonder how long it will be before there is an update to the Palm Desktop software so it will work with an OS as new as Vista . . . :D

I'm glad I still have a computer running Win2K. HotSync works just fine with that OS. :ph34r:

Try right clicking on the Palm Desktop icon then click the "Run as Administrator" option. This seems to work for a lot of people. If this doesn't work and if you are the only one using the computer, then you can go to the control panel>User accounts and Family safety>User Accounts>Turn user account control on or off>Uncheck the box for user account control. That is what worked for me. I wish that Palm would get the patch for the .pdb files.....

I would recommend the "Run as Administrator" option...the latter option will potential open yourself to some security exposure.

According to what I have read the only security exposure you are opening yourself up to is that someone else may be able to log onto your computer using administrator privileges. This is why I prefaced my comment with "if you are the only one using the computer".

Thanks for the info. I have tried the run as administrator option, as well as reinstalling the palm deskstop software. But it just doesn't seem to work. On the other hand, it did work with Windows XP media edition. I am running windows XP Pro at work and Windows 2000. Maybe I will just add the software at work and do the hot sync there until Palm upgrades theri hot sync software.

According to what I have read the only security exposure you are opening yourself up to is that someone else may be able to log onto your computer using administrator privileges. This is why I prefaced my comment with "if you are the only one using the computer".

There are still known vulnerabilites in the OS that make it a good idea not to log on to it via Administrator by default even if you are the only user.

It will probably always be this way until they make some fundemental architecture changes. It's one of the main reason I enjoy administrating on IBM iSeries platform. That, and the fact I don't receive patch updates in my world 5 years after a major OS release that still read "VULNERABILITY".

Unfortunately, it's not always ideal for average users to operate under the most secure profile in the MS world.

Edited by egami

I didn't get any repsonses to my question about hot syncing a palm z22 and cachemate under windows vista. It seems like the hot sync isn't supported yet. If I switch to some other configuration such as Plucker and GPX Spinner do you think I will have any better luck. I do like useing GSAK and Cachemate, but if they don't work with Vista yet, I would like to do something else to remain paperless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hotsync does work with Vista (given a bit of fiddling - I had to upgrade Pocketmirror). But the problem with Cachemate is that Palm's QuickInstall program does not work under Vista, and Quickinstall is used to write the Cachemate database file to the Palm.

I figured out an alternate way to do this, it works if you had a Palm with an SD card (I posted this elsewhere, but it's relevant here). Here are the steps:

Create a PDB file with GSAK (or whatever program you use)

Insert your Palm's SD card into the PC's card reader so its recognized as a drive

Create a directory called /CacheMate

Copy the PDB file to /Cachemate

Insert SD card back into your Palm

Next time you boot up the Palm, it will scan the card and import caches from all the PDB files in that directory.

THis works, I'm really happy to have an update cache file on my Palm again!

Edited by ghost640

Vista, like all the other versions of Windows, probably won't be ready for prime time until after SP2. Microsoft shoves releases out the door, and then fixes the problems later, after the users find the problems for them.

This is very true...assuming Vista isn't the second coming of ME which was never ready for prime time.

I've been relatively apprehensive of jumping to Apple or Linux for general home use, but MS is pushing me to that point.