Snap'n'lock boxes BOGOF at Morrisons :-)

rutson

It is important to be aware of inferior lock and lock boxes. I was in another supermarket, ASDA as it hapens, and I saw how cheap their lock and locks were. On closer inspection you could clearly see the quality was well under par, when compared to Morrisons.

The shop that sells everything in the town is ok, but I find their prices a little too much. Then again, if it's a 'special cache?'

Aiii

I am probably stating the obvious (sorry :laughing: ) but I noticed Tesco tell the boxes (lock and lock?) which are most common with geocaches (in this area at least :laughing: )

I suppose one would want the type that has some sort of seal around the lid and has a positive seal when locked.

Saying this, I've been to a few caches with quality boxes which have been damp/wet inside, so the 'logbook in snap-seal bag' routine is always a good one.

so the 'logbook in snap-seal bag' routine is always a good one.

Snap, Seal Bag is NEVER a good one....

You should Bag, snap, seal.

Caches should NEVER be put into plastic bags as they are dangerous to animals who may nibble at them, they are non biodegradable and therefore are just litter, and they also keep more water inside the bag (along with snails, slugs etc) than they keep out.

If you feel the box is not cammo'd enough, use cammo tape around it, or use a cammo bag (non plastic of course!) or paint it cammo colours. If it's just a case of making it more waterproof, I've found the Tesco's own lock n locks to be fabulous - Ive had caches in those out there for over a year with not a hint of dampness.

Myself, and several cachers around are known to remove any plastic bags on caches!!!

Sorry to report and may be it is just a one off, the actual quality of the Morrisons snap n lock boxes are not that good.

I put one out on a cache in January and allready 3 of the clips have snapped off.The first came off after a week.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:;):D:DB):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hmmm been using and finding them for ages with no problems whatsoever, trust they are the same ones? I bought some yesterday, two lemon-type and two kiwi-type :D Bet most of these are bought by cachers, they should have a caching section :D

Caches should NEVER be put into plastic bags as they are dangerous to animals who may nibble at them, they are non biodegradable and therefore are just litter, and they also keep more water inside the bag (along with snails, slugs etc) than they keep out.

Its also against Groundspeak rules to place a cache container in any plastic bag I believe? *awaits moderator to confirm or deny* :laughing: Because of this I have together with other cachers CITO'd bags we find. Some of the bags we've found have been really revolting! It only takes moments to camo up a container. I find black insulating tape sticks well to cache containers.

On a more positive note I use Wilkinson's Lock and Lock containers, which come in many shapes and sizes and at good prices. I have two of their large containers which have been in the wild for over a year now and both are still in excellent condition and still airtight. If you have a branch of Fennicks near you they now stock the entire range of the original American Lock and Lock containers, from the teeniest pocket sized one (a nice alternative to micros) to ones so big an ammo can would fit inside. And a mind boggling range of shapes too...

Its also against Groundspeak rules to place a cache container in any plastic bag I believe? *awaits moderator to confirm or deny* :laughing: Because of this I have together with other cachers CITO'd bags we find. Some of the bags we've found have been really revolting! It only takes moments to camo up a container. I find black insulating tape sticks well to cache containers.

GAGB guidlines, I believe.

Its also against Groundspeak rules to place a cache container in any plastic bag I believe? *awaits moderator to confirm or deny* :lol: Because of this I have together with other cachers CITO'd bags we find. Some of the bags we've found have been really revolting! It only takes moments to camo up a container. I find black insulating tape sticks well to cache containers.

IF it were, then most of the Canadian caches I did would have breached the "Rules" :lol:

I think it is under Guidelines only.

On a more positive note I use Wilkinson's Lock and Lock containers, which come in many shapes and sizes and at good prices. I have two of their large containers which have been in the wild for over a year now and both are still in excellent condition and still airtight. If you have a branch of Fennicks near you they now stock the entire range of the original American Lock and Lock containers, from the teeniest pocket sized one (a nice alternative to micros) to ones so big an ammo can would fit inside. And a mind boggling range of shapes too...

I've used a fair number of Wilkinson's boxes too. The oldest has been 'in the field' for nearly two years without any signs of degradation. The only time one let water in was when some fool had put a travel bug that was much too big in the box and couldn't get two of the clips done up so they left it undone anyway :lol:

Its also against Groundspeak rules to place a cache container in any plastic bag I believe? *awaits moderator to confirm or deny* Because of this I have together with other cachers CITO'd bags we find. Some of the bags we've found have been really revolting! It only takes moments to camo up a container. I find black insulating tape sticks well to cache containers.

Funnily enough I don't think it IS against the rules as such. I believe however that if the cache reviewer is aware at the time of publication, a 'request' is issued for its removal. I have only come across one or two caches where a bag actually assisted camo of the actual cache. There again more careful placement would have made their use unnecessary. To place a scache in plastic bag for 'protection' is useless because of condensation.... sorry, getting a bit OT :lol:

Jon

The moderators are being rather quiet on the plastic bag issue :lol::lol:

As that's a challenge :lol: here's the reply :D

No it's not in GC's guidelines, but if mentioned when the cache is submitted for Review, the placer receives a Reviewer Request to remove it, I personally explain about how they create an unpleasant find, soon become full of holes and present a risk to wildlife.

But if the cache is placed under a Landowner Agreement which uses the GAGB Guidelines as part of the Agreement it is a Rule that they not be used. And as such we have grounds to refuse to publish the cache until it is removed, as the cache does not meet the Agreement.

Personally in the past where possible I have removed plastic bags covering caches, something that each person who finds themselves in such a situation has to make their own decision about.

To be honest I've only found a few caches where a plastic bag has been used. My main problem is that muggles tend to use plastic bags for dog and baby waste. I gave up on one cache because I almost picked up a bag of dog poo. So everytime I see a plastic carrier bag, I am cautious of it's contents.

I was walking through some woods oneday and some freaks had hung their dogs special bag on a tree. Do they think the poo faerie is gonna come down and remove it for them.

Anyway, I would aggree against using any form of bag. If the item was muggled they might think 'danger' especially if it's wrapped in camo, and said muggle is unable to see the writting on the box explaining contents safe etc.

But hey that's just my personal view, I am not going to bin your cool camo bag which I can see a mile away. On the other hand if it's a classic tesco carrier bag, it could become a muggle poo bag.

I was walking through some woods oneday and some freaks had hung their dogs special bag on a tree. Do they think the poo faerie is gonna come down and remove it for them.

Yes, I've seen that too - why do people do that? In my opinion, that's actually even worse than just leaving the poo on the path. At least if they did that eventually the rain would wash it away. Putting it in a bag just means it can't biodegrade. There are some weird people around.

When I first started caching, pretty much every box we found was wrapped in a black bin bag, so I thought that was the norm and did the same to my first cache. Now, none of my caches are wrapped (although we did visit one of ours a couple of months ago to find that someone had 'kindly' wrapped it for me because it was getting a bit wet :laughing: ).

Also, re: the Morrisons boxes - pretty much all my caches are these, and we've only had one problem where a clip had come off. This was easily replaced. Embarrassingly enough, I went into a supermarket once and asked the assistant where the Geocaches were. When they didn't understand, I mimed following a GPSr, saying 'you know, tupperware boxes!' as if that made everything clear. :laughing:

In the same day though, my friend asked an assistant in another shop if they sold handcuffs (she meant 'cufflinks' - the assistant's face was a picture!) - so that made me feel better! :laughing:

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

Yes, I've seen that too - why do people do that? In my opinion, that's actually even worse than just leaving the poo on the path. At least if they did that eventually the rain would wash it away. Putting it in a bag just means it can't biodegrade. There are some weird people around.

Just a little comment in defence of dof walkers being both a dog owner and geocacher :laughing:

If walking from home my dog will do it's business usually on the first part of our walk. I bag it and put it to the side of the path rather than carry the bag for an hour or more. On our return journey I pick it up and take it home.

Sometimes the poo bags you see belong to responsible dog walkers that will return for their belongings :laughing:

If of course its bagged up while we're miles form home then It's carried to somewhere to be disposed of properly.

Just a little comment in defence of dof walkers being both a dog owner and geocacher :laughing:

If walking from home my dog will do it's business usually on the first part of our walk. I bag it and put it to the side of the path rather than carry the bag for an hour or more. On our return journey I pick it up and take it home.

Sometimes the poo bags you see belong to responsible dog walkers that will return for their belongings :laughing:

If of course its bagged up while we're miles form home then It's carried to somewhere to be disposed of properly.

Okay, fair enough. I have a dog too though, and I would rather carry mine for the whole walk rather than leave it somewhere, in case people jumped to the conclusion I just have!

Having said that though, we're lucky around here. There are bins especially for this purpose on the beaches and most of the footpaths.

To be honest I've only found a few caches where a plastic bag has been used. My main problem is that muggles tend to use plastic bags for dog and baby waste. I gave up on one cache because I almost picked up a bag of dog poo. So everytime I see a plastic carrier bag, I am cautious of it's contents.

Anyway, I would aggree against using any form of bag. If the item was muggled they might think 'danger' especially if it's wrapped in camo, and said muggle is unable to see the writting on the box explaining contents safe etc.

But hey that's just my personal view, I am not going to bin your cool camo bag which I can see a mile away. On the other hand if it's a classic tesco carrier bag, it could become a muggle poo bag.

It's amazing! A thread about snap n lok boxes in Morrisons has degraded to chat about dog poo. It won;t be long before the electric zappers raise their heads again! :laughing: