Floaters

I have one in my boat that holds my registration and trailer lock key. It also holds several ounces of water, since it's not near as water resistant as the manufacturer claims. I've found probably 8 or 10 of them in the wild. All of the ones similar in design to mine had water in them. Mine is a rigid cylinder with a threaded top & O-ring. Kinda like a big, plastic bison tube. :rolleyes:

Here's an even cheaper, readily available alternative . . .

MatchContainer.jpg

Match containers for $0.99 at Wal-Mart or you local sporting goods store. I suggest replacing the original 'seal' with an o-ring as the original seal fits a little loose and can be dropped and lost.

I drilled a hole in the lid, put a cotter-key through and sealed it inside with epoxy. I imagine you could do the same thing with a little threaded eye-bolt and a dab of glue inside.

JohnTee

I have one in my boat that holds my registration and trailer lock key. It also holds several ounces of water, since it's not near as water resistant as the manufacturer claims. I've found probably 8 or 10 of them in the wild. All of the ones similar in design to mine had water in them. Mine is a rigid cylinder with a threaded top & O-ring. Kinda like a big, plastic bison tube. :laughing:
I assume that your's is not like this one:

be8b9a0f-8a70-4728-b104-56c38d5ea974.jpg

There is a local cache that uses one of my containers just like this one. It has been 'in the field' for right at two years and has had no reported water issues.

MatchContainer.jpg

Match containers for $0.99 at Wal-Mart or you local sporting goods store. I suggest replacing the original 'seal' with an o-ring as the original seal fits a little loose and can be dropped and lost.

I drilled a hole in the lid, put a cotter-key through and sealed it inside with epoxy. I imagine you could do the same thing with a little threaded eye-bolt and a dab of glue inside.

I'm always a bit scared of breaching a waterproof container like that. If the glue/epoxy/sealant ever goes bad, water has a direct route inside. I've seen a few of these attempts become a wet, stinky mess.

Except for the color, mine is exactly like that one. Mine is not in an area even slightly protected from the weather, which may be what leads to it getting filled with water on a regular basis. It's tied to my boat's transom, which sits exposed to the elements.

This one is laying next to a tree, with some leaves tossed on top. Edited by sbell111
I'm always a bit scared of breaching a waterproof container like that. If the glue/epoxy/sealant ever goes bad, water has a direct route inside. I've seen a few of these attempts become a wet, stinky mess.

Well, proper preparation does go a long way <_< . . . 14 months in the field tomorrow and still holding up.

JohnTee

I have one in my boat that holds my registration and trailer lock key. It also holds several ounces of water, since it's not near as water resistant as the manufacturer claims. I've found probably 8 or 10 of them in the wild. All of the ones similar in design to mine had water in them. Mine is a rigid cylinder with a threaded top & O-ring. Kinda like a big, plastic bison tube. <_<

be8b9a0f-8a70-4728-b104-56c38d5ea974.jpg

There is a local cache that uses one of my containers just like this one. It has been 'in the field' for right at two years and has had no reported water issues.

MatchContainer.jpg

Nice camop paint job. I am not much of a painter... what is your technique for camo painting like that and what kind of paint do you use?

Nice camop paint job. I am not much of a painter... what is your technique for camo painting like that and what kind of paint do you use?
I use pretty much the same technique as Criminal describes here. The only differences are 1) I use Rustoleum camo paint, 2) I use twigs from a burning bush plant instead of the cedar, pine or ferns that he uses, and 3) I don't sand my cans (I guess that's only relevent when talking about painting ammo cans). Edited by sbell111
..... 3) I don't sand my cans...
Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it.
It sounds too painful. I'm not into that.

Hey... there's noting like nice smooth....

Sorry, it was temping, but I just can't! <_<

I found one of these "floaters" as a trade item in a cache. It's now waiting for deployment into the field! Seems like it'd make a great container.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

I use pretty much the same technique as Criminal describes here. The only differences are [snip]

..... 3) I don't sand my cans... (I guess that's only relevent when talking about painting ammo cans).

If you start with premium cans, they don't need sanding. Mine have never been sanded and are as smooth as a baby's bum, thankyewverymuch.

I'm not saying Criminal doesn't know good cans when he has his hands on them... the cans he had to sand must have been standard ones.

Edited to fix over-snipping of the sbell quote.

Edited by ...The Girl