screen name

With only 49 finds it shouldn't be too hard to re-log. Just make sure you mention what you are doing in your log so the cache owners don't think you are making phony logs.

You can then have your new account adopt the caches owned by the old account.

Re-logging any travelers will be more difficult, but if you can obtain the tracking numbers you can just "discover" them.

If the database designer had known how geocaching and GC.com was going to grow and evolve, then changing screen names would have been built in from the beginning. But the designer didn't know how things would evolve. We all will have to live with the present design until the next big revamp.

Having spent almost twenty years designing database applications I am well aware that nobody can anticipate how an application is going to evolve over six or more years. Very few of my designs have lasted in production even five years. Usually by five years things have changed so much that it is more cost effective to start a whole new design from scratch than to try to modify the old application any more.

Newbies arent going to know this screen name will be a name for life.

For instance - you need to log on to ask questions in the forums. Which many do without before caching to gain help.

That's why when you sign up for a new account, you are greeted by this text:

Choose username for this account:

This is the name that you will be known as on the site and log entries. This will be the permanent username that represents you to other members, so choose wisely!

Allowing anonymous guests to post comments on caches or in the forums is just begging the spammers to plaster the site with all kinds of spam. Just look at Blogger.

Edited by DavidMac

Then "guests" should be able to log on as such w/o signing up.

For instance - you need to log on to ask questions in the forums. Which many do without before caching to gain help.

Pick a name. Lurk on the forums. Ask questions. Look at cache pages. Even go hunt some caches. Then when you've decided that you're hooked, pick another name. This will be your permanent name. Use it to log your finds.

Granted when I started, you didn't need to log in to see the coordinates for the cache. So I did all this (except for asking questions in the forums) and when I logged my first cache, I gave a lot of thought to what name I would use. I wish I had found a few nanos first - its tough to write my name on those little scrolls :ph34r:

Wow,

Thanks to everyone that replyed! While I like my name I want a name for the whole family not just me! Oh well as it was said above, life goes on!

Thanks all!

The exact same thing happened to us. *I* signed up on the site and then this whole addiction turned out to be a family thing. Before we knew it, we were in too deep and the entire family now goes by CRAWIL. The important thing is that we all have fun finding and hiding caches!

Then "guests" should be able to log on as such w/o signing up.

I wish I had found a few nanos first - its tough to write my name on those little scrolls :laughing:

ROFL! I'm with you on this one. I should have separate names for the type of cache -- nano: cachp; regular: cachephrase; high-muggle area: cachep(rest is illegible line); and for rainy days, c----(since it will immediately blur anyway...) :laughing: