Average speed?

Working horses over trails, it would be very valuable to know the average and maximum speed that we've made.

I can't find any GPSr's that do this. Am I missing some?

Most GPS units calculate average and max speeds. They will also track moving vs stopped time so you can see your average speed while moving and your overall average speed for the trip.

This functionality is very valuable to me when kayaking. I like to set a pace and use the GPS as my speedometer.

Speed information is also captured in the track log data so you can evaluate it on the computer when you get back home. There has been some discussion here regarding this and speeds while skiing.

Most garmin units will allow you to customize the trip computer page so you can choose what stats you want to see.

Working horses over trails, it would be very valuable to know the average and maximum speed that we've made.

I can't find any GPSr's that do this. Am I missing some?

If you want a nice compact one that you can strap on your wrist, pick up a ForeTrex 101. They were selling them at Aldi stores for 50 or 60 dollars.