Visiting England...

Hello,

I'll be in England over the summer and I have a Garmin 60csx that I want to help me drive around. What map software should I be buying for my unit? Over here in the US, I use Garmin City Select, it shows me everything down to location of shops and so forth. Is there anything like that for the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'll be in England over the summer and I have a Garmin 60csx that I want to help me drive around. What map software should I be buying for my unit? Over here in the US, I use Garmin City Select, it shows me everything down to location of shops and so forth. Is there anything like that for the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Mapsource Europe will do the job, although not the auto routing

Won't give you topographic details - due to UK laws on public access I strongly recommend a decent (Ordnance Survey) map

You can use streetmap.co.uk maps at a pinch (they are OS maps) using the link on the cache listing. Lots of paper though!

Do you have access to Memory Map?

I strongly recommend a decent (Ordnance Survey) map

I'd second that. When I was on holiday in America I was suprised at the low level of detail shown on the paper based maps. I bought three or four different types while I was there and they were all really poor compared to OS quality.

Maybe things have changed (that was 10 years ago) but hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. The Ordnance Survey web site is http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ and they can supply maps by post in advance of your visit. They also have a free 'view a map' service on the same page (just enter a postcode or place name) so you can take a look before buying.

As Macroderma says, Memory Map is a great piece of software that uses OS map detail. Their website is http://www.memory-map.co.uk/

Hope this helps.