No Caches along a route?

murfster

Help.. I can't seem to find the answer. I have several "Caches along a route" set up. Most of them work just fine. But some return with a message " No caches found.", when I know there are some there?

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

Murfster

Help.. I can't seem to find the answer. I have several "Caches along a route" set up. Most of them work just fine. But some return with a message " No caches found.", when I know there are some there?

Murfster

Can you try posting links to your routes? Maybe we can see something you are missing.

Murfster

Can you try posting links to your routes? Maybe we can see something you are missing.

I'm not sure how. I have made public all my routes. How can I share a pocket query? The best example is Timmins to Sudbury. I know there are a few caches along that route ( HWY 144) but get no returns. If someone else could try.

Thanks

Murfster

murfster, I ended up making a new route for my San Fran trip. I uploaded it, asked for a PQ and got an empty result. I went back to that route in my PQ data on the GC site and looked at the details for it. It said there were no turns associated with the route.

I went back to Google Earth, did the route again and uploaded the route again. This time the turns were there and the route PQ generated the results I was looking for. Try going back and looking at the route and make sure the turns are there.

Edited by mtn-man

murfster, I ended up making a new route for my San Fran trip. I uploaded it, asked for a PQ and got an empty result. I went back to that route in my PQ data on the GC site and looked at the details for it. It said there were no turns associated with the route.

I went back to Google Earth, did the route again and uploaded the route again. This time the turns were there and the route PQ generated the results I was looking for. Try going back and looking at the route and make sure the turns are there.

I redid it and now I get finds!! YEA. I had a couple like that and they are all working now. Caches along a route is so great.

I also found if I previewed the route it was sure to work.

Thanks for your help.

Murfster

I have had the same thing happen a few times to myself. I have to make sure all the directions with each turn are visible, before saving the .kml file. If I hit the + mark to close the directions first, then upload the file, I also get no results. I have to make sure the - is visible and all directions/turns are too for it to work for me.

I tried the gc.com routing, found it was somewhat aggravating to use. I've been using GSAK and mapsource instead, plot a route in mapsource, save it, then you can search 'Arc/poly' in the filters. Of course this only works for caches you've downloaded and entered into GSAK already.

Greywynd

Totally impractical for me.

My route from Los Angeles to Prescott, AZ took only minutes to create in Google Earth. It took a couple of minutes to upload it to the web site and then I clicked one button to create the pocket query. I was done in less than 10 minutes. There is no telling how many pocket queries that would have been.

For my route from Washington DC to NYC, the number of pocket queries I would have had to pull to build a GSAK database that was functional would have been enormous. Once again, using the feature with Google Earth, it took 10 minutes and I was done. My route for June will be from Seattle to Port Angeles. I would be able to use the same quick process again. I will probably just pull a radial query for Victoria.

If you are doing a short route in town or something, then maybe your idea would work, but for a real trip it is impractical. Real trips, such as a vacation drive, is the main reason for the caches along a route feature.

Edited by mtn-man

mtn-man what you say is true but GSAK offers more flexibility in the width of the search by not being limited to just 8km (5miles). In rural areas this is a bonus. I think a lot of folks maintain a GSAK database of all the caches in their home province (or state) so both methods of searching along a route have their uses.

mtn-man what you say is true but GSAK offers more flexibility in the width of the search by not being limited to just 8km (5miles). In rural areas this is a bonus. I think a lot of folks maintain a GSAK database of all the caches in their home province (or state) so both methods of searching along a route have their uses.

I did the ARC routes, route! :blink: and I found it a pain. The GC.com instrutions are simple and the results were quick. :o

I wish I knew more about GSAK.. :o I hear lots of good thinks but frankly it is so complex looking.

Is there a manual? Honestly I have not spent much time with it. Any good sites that can help tell you what it can do.

Murfster