How accurate is GPS?

jaxel

I'm incredibly new to Geocaching and honestly love it so far. I've found three caches and don't even own a GPS device, then again I know the area I live in really well. I'm looking to purchase a GPS for caches further away, but I was just curious about just how accurate it really is. Are the coordinates used just to get very close to the cache-- say a 100ft. radius? or is in really really accurate to the point where it will point out which tree to look by? I understand that it's probably somewhere in between. But if I have a fairly good idea where a cache is hidden, and it's in a wooded area, will GPS help me guess maybe five trees to look around, or would it just get me to a section of the woods? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance!

Slainté!

Depends on a lot of factors, but generally if the coords are correct, my explorist has gotten me right on top of caches. It will say 1-5 feet away with accuracy of 7 feet, and I'll be pretty much standing on top of the cache :P

If you have a clear sky view and lots of satellites tracked, it's pretty darn close.

Hey great question and you are right it varies and depends on many factors such as overhead cover, type of GPS, weather conditions, satellite availability, ground interference, and the list goes on......but overall they are every accurate and mine (Garmin 60CSx) will normally get me to within 10 feet or so of a cache. It is good enough that often if I onto a fence post cache it will take me to the fence post in question and if it is in a tree it will take me to the exact tree......then the fun starts, where is the cache, ha ha!!

The technology still amazes me and it is so cool!!

So enjoy and have fun caching throughout this country and the world!!

:P

Cool!! (AKA Joe - RugerPilot345)

As others mentioned, there are many variables, including the accuracy of the person who hid the cache. Even if you have a $5,000 GPS with millimeter accuracy, you can still be off because of the margin of error in GPS of the person who hid the cache.

Depending on conditions, a consumer grade handheld will generally be accurate from around 5-30 feet. So when you factor in the error in your GPS and that of the hider your unit can have you as far as 60 feet from the cache (or more if there is signal bounce, usually around cliffs, tall bildings and in ravines).

Generally though I'd say my GPS puts me between 10 and 25 feet from the cache, though 40+ feet is not unheard of. It can be accurate enough to point out a specfic tree, but more likely it will narrow it down to 3 or 4 trees.

Depending on who the cache placer is, my GPSr will put me right on top of the cache, or 20 or 30 feet away.

There are a couple of cachers here who must own the same brand and model GPSr as mine. I almost always find their caches at exactly GZ for my GPSr. :(

I agree with the folks who say that they get 20 feet accuracy or less, depending on this and that...but I want to add that there are other reasons to chose your gps carefully.

One feature that I find very useful now is autorouting. We just finished a five day trip through KY-TN-MS-LA-TX-OK-AR-MO-KY-and back to IN and the autorouting on on Garmin gps units came in very handy in all those strange towns. We have map 60CS, map 60CSx and Map76Cs units, but other models and other brands have autorouting as well. The autorouting isn't perfect by any means, but it always got us where we were going.

Just having the good maps available on the gps was an advantage. If there was a choice between the three caches "over there" and the three caches "over that way" instead, it was easy to see which clump allowed us to travel over major roads and to stick more closely to our planned route.

But most of all, whatever unit you get, make sure it can connect to your computer so you can download caches via the cord, instead of by hand. A few of the least expensive units don't have that feature, and that can cause you to miss a cache when you hand enter coords incorrectly. Most of the mid range to higher end units either come with a cord or will accept on, some of the least expensive units also offer that feature.

None of the gps units are so accurate that they spoil the fun of the hunt.

Without a GPSr, you're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

I don't know how you'd find a cache deep in the woods. Images off of Google Maps are helpful, but not when there are 100's of trees around.

And then there are multis. How do you get to the second stage without a GPSr, unless you go back home and look up the coordinates and go back?

But the ultimate reason for having the GPSr would be to become a premium member and set up some pocket queries to download several hundred caches. Then, you can decide to look for a cache any time the fever hits you, on the spur of the moment.

Of course, you being a newbie, I wouldn't expect you to be so obsessed with geocaching right off the bat. I think we're probably talking at least 5 days from now; but it's better to be prepared.

Wecome to the addiction!

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I will admit it is already somewhat addicting, It's just so hard to want to throw down ~$75-$150 for a lower grade, but not horrible GPS. However I know that after I buy it, I'll be glad I did. Who doesn't love a Country wide treasure hunt, where the fun is the hunt, not the treasure itself!? I love it! On top of that, there are so many caches close to my house. Like I said, I'm interested in so many things, it's hard to want to spend money on a GPS, but I'm fairly certain that I'll get caught up in Geocaching.

None of the gps units are so accurate that they spoil the fun of the hunt.

:( I really like the way that you worded it! That was one of my concerns, would GPS make it too easy? From what I've heard about the area's of some caches and even multi - caches, there's always a challenge. Thanks again everyone!!!

Slainté!

Jaxel

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I will admit it is already somewhat addicting, It's just so hard to want to throw down ~$75-$150 for a lower grade, but not horrible GPS.

The less expensive GPSr are not lower grade or horrible. They are just simpler, or use older technology. They will find caches (or your car parking spot at the local Megalomart) just fine.

You could likely find a used yellow etrex for $50 in the garage sale forum. I recently found a lovely eMap at a thrift store for $20.

I need help too! How come my etrex venture CX shows me as much as 50 - 60 feet away when my friend who has an older etrex model shows him 10' from the same cache? No wonder I can't find anything! Is there some adjustment on my GPS to make it more accurate or am I doing something wrong?

sooiesal

Do you have the Venture Cx set to "lock on road?" Look for that under Setup, maybe under Routing.

I'm sure someone else will know exactly where that is on your GPSr.

That could be the problem. I have the eTrex Vista C and it puts me right on top of the cache much of the time. :)