Found my very first cache ever! And my second, too!

French.

I just had to tell everyone that I found my first cache and then my second this morning. How exciting. I was using a 60csx and still trying to figure everything out. DH and I were at the first cache last night but never found it so I went back today determined. And when I got to it, the unit beeped and it was dead on!

I've decided, though, that I don't need anything quite as good as the 60 csx...so I'm actually going to return that and get the Vista cx. I played with one today in the store and I love the form factor, button location, and the joystick on the face. Actually, I REALLY love the joystick. Being of the female gender I do have longer nails than your average male user. I have found the 60 csx pad to be difficult to use as a result. But the joystick is perfect.

I would LOVE to see the Vista upgraded with a SiRF III chipset. IMO, that would make the handheld absolutely perfect. A girl can dream, can't she.

Anyway, I'm excited to have had success and looking forward to more caches. And apparently there are quite a few in my immediate area.

I've decided, though, that I don't need anything quite as good as the 60 csx...so I'm actually going to return that and get the Vista cx. I played with one today in the store and I love the form factor, button location, and the joystick on the face.

I've used both, and while people could argue why the csx is a better unit the etrex continues to do the job. Go with what works for you.

Welcome Welcome. I too am a newer chacher. I have found 7 in the last week though. Thanks to marrying a already cacher with a GPS. :P He ordered me a Vista today. I can't wait for it to come. It will be so nice to not have to do that handing off thing all the time.

I think it is good that we get what feels right to us. It's a personal thing after all!!!!

YAY! another newbie! I just started the other day too we have a Vista Cx i believe...hold on let me check...yup it is...good old vista cx...but ya i found my first three (intentional) caches today :P too...mabye you were the person that was on two of the ones i found...gah i like using the triple period thingy way way too much...i need to like go into rehab for that...gah! mabye ill switch to commas,,,

Congratulations on finding the caches, and welcome to the madness! It's always good to hear when husband and wife enjoy the caching together. Good luck and have fun!

Err...well I'm not sure "enjoy" is the word I would use. Note I said I went back without my husband to actually find the cache.

I think for the sake of our marriage and my sanity he will be needing his own, dedicated GPS. There was a little tussle over who would get to hold it.

Congratulations on finding the caches, and welcome to the madness! It's always good to hear when husband and wife enjoy the caching together. Good luck and have fun!

Err...well I'm not sure "enjoy" is the word I would use. Note I said I went back without my husband to actually find the cache.

I think for the sake of our marriage and my sanity he will be needing his own, dedicated GPS. There was a little tussle over who would get to hold it.

We're still back on figuring out how to use our one and only GPS...let alone thinking about a second one :(

CanoeMi and I found our first cache last weekend...and cache #2 & #3 this morning. We've stuck close to home (one of the ones we found today was literally behind our next-door neighbor's backyard!) so far. I hear CanoeMi in the other room has the Garmin DVD playing and talking about waypoints. Meanwhile, it looks like I'm the one in charge of logging our finds here.

So far, we're having a lot of fun. It's fun to do as a couple and a great way to get -outdoors- together. We love to just get out and do mini road trips, so this will give us even better excuses to do so!

We to went yesterday with some friends that have been doing it for a while to see what all the fuss was about. I ordered my GPS off ebay nothing special. It gets us from point A to point B with out problems. We found 7 on our first day out and the kids loves it so much we had to go and look for a couple more in our area. The kids are already planning on what type of GPS system they want for their birthdays (at least it will be easy this year) as well as trying to find stuff that they would like to put in the boxes. We took some bandanas with a note from our dog or geo dog as our friend called him and put them in a zip lock baggie for people to take as a token from one furry friend to another. Can't want to go out this weekend to find more. HAD A BLAST!!!

Edited by thecandys_71

We went out for our first hunt/find Saturday also. Had a blast and the kids wanted to do more - but I had to work, so next week~! :laughing:

My husband and I also did our first caching on Saturday. We found our first cache, which apparently had been opened by a muggle, as the cache was open, the log out and nothing was in it. We fixed it up and rehid it, and another geocacher found it later in the day. I was glad we had left something for him to find. Due to inexperience with the GPS, we didn't find the second cache we tried, but got to talk to a beekeeper. We didn't find the third cache, but found a dog park near our house that we didn't know about, so when we gave up on the cache we went and got the dogs and took them to the park. Even for the caches we didn't find, we had great experiences. I expect we will revisit the DNFs and there are a ton more caches in the area for us to build our skills with. We can't wait to get back out this weekend! BTW, we're using an etrex Venture cx.

Well I'm now up to number 5, and hoping to go for 6, 7 and 8 today or tomorrow (weather permitting).

Number 5 will be one I never forget. In fact, I think I'm going to save the track just so I can refer to my own stupidity from time to time. Though I suspect I'll have plenty more moments of stupidity to keep me going. I found the cache I was going for, but after I got home and studied my tracks, where it was located, etc., well let's just say I took the l-o-n-g way. After I was walking for about 10 minutes I was thinking, "This can't be a 2 on a scale of 5...it just can't". I was right. The way I went it was probably more like a 3 - 3.5.

Who knew there were 2 completely different roads with exactly the same name, that had a place to park? I have lived in the area for 8 years and didn't know, and when I asked DH about said road, which he drives ON to get to work, and PAST the "other" one enroute, didn't know about it, either. I hope this kind of thing gets more untuitive (the figuring out where to park when it isn't listed). Or that I learn to read instructions/GPS better.

Anyway, still having fun and because the one from yesterday was such a long hike, I am especially proud of myself. I really worked on listening to the GPS and understanding what it was telling me and I think yesterday was a great exercise in that. It took me right to it. And I'm seeing areas I never knew existed.

I'm really glad I found this.