The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

A DING! To the Lavenders. The slogan is often attributed to Gloria Steinem, who is an American feminist icon, journalist and women's rights advocate. But she didn't come up with "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." As TLHM point out, the original phrase was rather antitheist.

Below is a short description of some well know novels. I want the name of the novel AND the author please.

1. About life in a dictatorship as lived by Winston Smith

2. Set far in the future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino

3. The novel focused on the character of a long-suffering Black slave around whom the stories of other characters—both fellow slaves and slave owners—revolve. The sentimental novel depicts the cruel reality of slavery while also asserting that Christian love can overcome something as destructive as enslavement of fellow human beings

4. It details the story of a fictitious Sicilian Mafia family based in New York City (and Long Beach, NY) and headed by Don Vito Corleone

5. A 1967 book which looks at humans as a species and compares them to other animals

6. Set in 1482 in Paris, in and around a cathedral. The book tells the story of a poor Gypsy girl and a misshapen bell-ringer who was raised by the archdeacon

7. This satirical novel follows a U.S. Army Air Forces B-25 bombardier, and a number of other characters. Most events occur while the airmen of the fictional Fighting 256th (or "two to the fighting eighth power") Squadron are based on the island of Pianosa, west of Italy.

8. Set in a time "between the dawn of Faerie and the Dominion of Men," and follows the quest of home-loving Hobbit to win his share of the treasure guarded by the dragon, Smaug. His journey takes him from light-hearted, rural surroundings and into darker, deeper territory, meeting various denizens of the Wilderland along the way

9. The novel's protagonist, has become an icon for teenage rebellion and defiance. Written in the first person, it follows a 17 year olds experiences in New York City in the days following his expulsion from Pencey Prep, a college preparatory school

10. A mysterious gunman who enters into the life of Joe Starrett and his family and carves a place for himself in their hearts. Although he tries to leave his past behind, refusing to even carry a gun, he decides to fight Fletcher, the town enemies, in order to save Joe Starrett's farm.

Below is a short description of some well know novels. I want the name of the novel AND the author please.

1. 1984

2. Dune

3. Edit: Roots (a guess but I think it's wrong)

4. The Godfather

5. A 1967 book which looks at humans as a species and compares them to other animals

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

7. Catch 22

8. The Hobbit

9. The novel's protagonist, has become an icon for teenage rebellion and defiance. Written in the first person, it follows a 17 year olds experiences in New York City in the days following his expulsion from Pencey Prep, a college preparatory school

10. Shane

Edited by MartyBartfast

1. 1984 - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

2. Dune - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

3. The novel focused on the character of a long-suffering Black slave around whom the stories of other characters—both fellow slaves and slave owners—revolve. The sentimental novel depicts the cruel reality of slavery while also asserting that Christian love can overcome something as destructive as enslavement of fellow human beings

4. The Godfather - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

7. Catch 22 - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

8. The Hobbit - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

10. Shane - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

No.3 Isn't 'Roots'

No.5 Isn't 'My Family and other animals - Gerald Durrell'

1. 1984 - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

2. Dune - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

4. The Godfather - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

5. The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris - Full Dingette to kennamatic

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

7. Catch 22 - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

8. The Hobbit - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast

No.3 Isn't 'Roots'

No.5 Isn't 'My Family and other animals - Gerald Durrell'

1. 1984 by George Orwell - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

2. Dune by Frank Herbert - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

4. The Godfather by Mario Puza - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

7. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

8. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

3. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe - Half a Ding to Izzy and the Lizard King & Half a Ding to Woodchurch One

4. The Godfather by Mario Puza - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

7. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

8. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - Half a Ding to MartyBartfast & Half a Ding to MrsB

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

catcher in the rye - jd salinger?

Edited by keehotee

3. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe - Half a Ding to Izzy and the Lizard King & Half a Ding to Woodchurch One

9. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - Full Dingette to keehotee

Personally I thought 'The Catcher in the Rye' was the biggest load of garbage that I've ever read, a waste of good paper!

Final DING for the author of Shane

Personally I thought 'The Catcher in the Rye' was the biggest load of garbage that I've ever read, a waste of good paper!

lol - I read it almost all the way through waiting for something really exciting to happen - then spent the last 10% waiting for the punchline to kick in - and it didn't!

lol - I read it almost all the way through waiting for something really exciting to happen - then spent the last 10% waiting for the punchline to kick in - and it didn't!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :laughing:

I was given a list of books you should read before you die and 'The Catcher in the rye' was on it............I think it must be an 'arty' thing raved about by the type of people who also rave about a pile of broken house bricks. :laughing:

In case anyone out there thinks they need to read it....please do.....I had to go through the pain of reading it so I don't see why you shouldn't :D

I'd rather read 'Far From The Madding Crowd' by Thomas Hardy again.......at least that had some sort of story line even though you felt like cutting your wrists halfway through it.

Rant over :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one three. :P

What were we talking about? :ph34r:

We're waiting for MartyBartfast to give the author of 'Shane'.

You'll have a long wait. I did know the authors of most of my original answers but can't remember this one. I think I've got it at home but it's probably in the loft.

I can tell you who was in the film though :huh:

I knew about the patch and the arm was a guess.

A Star Trek one(s). For each of the questions below – as multiple questions seem popular – there is (are) an (some) associated number(s). Add them all together and what number do you get?

1) The female Borg in Voyager

2) The R&R room on the Enterprise

3) Data’s brother

4) The species that lives in fluidic space

1) The female Borg in Voyager 7 of 9

2) The R&R room on the Enterprise 10 forward

3) Data’s brother B-4

4) The species that lives in fluidic space Species 8472

I make that 8502 or 42 if you add digits rather than numbers. That's it, I'm all geeked out. (I have the Fans' Borg DVD collection and Nemesis on DVD. And that's all I'm admitting to)

1) The female Borg in Voyager 7 of 9

2) The R&R room on the Enterprise 10 forward

3) Data’s brother B-4

4) The species that lives in fluidic space Species 8472

I make that 8502 or 42 if you add digits rather than numbers. That's it, I'm all geeked out. (I have the Fans' Borg DVD collection and Nemesis on DVD. And that's all I'm admitting to)

Nothing wrong with geekdom. DING.

Lets move away from the geeky stuff now! :mad:

What word has the longest entry in the OED (second edition as the third is still being written)?

Lisa

I know this but can't spell it without looking it up and I don't have an OED at hand cos I'm in Romania. An I guess looking it up online is against the rules,

But the word starts Pneu, has 45 odd letters and 19 or 20 syallables and is obviously Greek in origin, the short name is 'Black Lung' which affects miners via long term inhaling of silica or coal dust.

If anyone gets this without looking it up I'll be amazed :mad:

Edited to add.....BTW........good question

As an aside, LHM and rutson were thinking of the correct longest word in the OED which is:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Which is a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust found in volcanoes.

(I had to look it up)

Edited by minstrelcat