The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

For the avoidance of doubt my answer was A.S.S so I'ts quite correct for Slitherin to get the DING!

Ta !!

Next question:

Find the 20 hidden creatures.

Kneel in the kayak grasping the boat, but don't wrench the bullion or scowl at the chart. Behind the taped and sealed planter is a benevolent collier. The foxglove is in the bath.

A quick brain teaser:

A Yellow Jeep is traveling at 30 miles per hour on a head-on collision course with a White Jeep, which is being driven at a leisurely 20 miles per hour. When the two cars are exactly 50 miles apart, a very fast fly leaves the front fender of the Yellow Jeep and travels towards the White Jeep at 100 miles per hour. When it reaches the White Jeep it instantly reverses direction and flies back to the Yellow Jeep and continues winging back and forth between the rapidly approaching cars. At the moment the two cars collide, what is the total distance the fly has covered?

Well, the fly is now 30 miles from its starting point, but has travelled a significantly greater distance.

As this is supposedly a 'Quick brain teaser' I'm assuming that getting into maths is out, so it MUST be 30 miles. Though to a mathmatician, something involving pages of calculation could easily be referred to as a quick brain teaser. :laughing:

A quick brain teaser:

A Yellow Jeep is traveling at 30 miles per hour on a head-on collision course with a White Jeep, which is being driven at a leisurely 20 miles per hour. When the two cars are exactly 50 miles apart, a very fast fly leaves the front fender of the Yellow Jeep and travels towards the White Jeep at 100 miles per hour. When it reaches the White Jeep it instantly reverses direction and flies back to the Yellow Jeep and continues winging back and forth between the rapidly approaching cars. At the moment the two cars collide, what is the total distance the fly has covered?

Isn't it 100 miles cos the jeeps will take an hour to meet? (Fly is flying for an hour at 100 mph, give or take the time it takes to turn).

This sounds a bit like that 'fire an arrow at a tortoise' thing to me. If the fly changes direction instantly, as the distance between the vehicles gets shorter at 50mph, and the fly is still covering the minute distances between bumpers at 100mph, it could travel 'infinitely' far before the cars hit. Not really, but as what Einstein would call a Thought Experiment, it makes (limited!) sense.

Isn't it 100 miles cos the jeeps will take an hour to meet? (Fly is flying for an hour at 100 mph, give or take the time it takes to turn).

I'd just come to that conclusion as well, seconds after hitting the reply button earlier, but my computer's playing silly buggers, so its taken forever to refresh! Basically, the fly is always going 100mph. As it takes 1 hour for the cars to meet, it must have done 100 miles.

:laughing:

I have to disagree. The fly is always moving between the cars twice as fast as the cars are closing. It doesn't matter if it's only an inch apart, the fly covers that inch twice as fast as it shrinks. So then it's a fraction of an inch, and again, the fly covers the gap twice as fast as it shrinks. So forth and so on...

I have to disagree. The fly is always moving between the cars twice as fast as the cars are closing. It doesn't matter if it's only an inch apart, the fly covers that inch twice as fast as it shrinks. So then it's a fraction of an inch, and again, the fly covers the gap twice as fast as it shrinks. So forth and so on...

Do you agree that, ignoring the fly, the gap becomes zero after an hour? If so, at that point the fly cannot travel any distance and is squashed twixt the bumpers (Fenders? Pah! :laughing: )

If those bumpers are made of biscuit dough, we've go ourselves a Garriabldi. mmmmmm

Ok, this shouldn't take some of you too long!

The DING goes to the person who names (what I think is) the Highest Cache (above ground level) in London and it's GC.com waypoint number.

I'll go for London - West End Webcam (oxford Circus) GCKVYF. Its not a proper one, but judging by the pictures it must be at least 30 feet off the ground.

DING! That's the one I was thinking of.

Ooo - That means I've got to think of a question...

keeping the same theme, Very simple -

what is the name and cache code of the UK's highest cache?

(above sea level, not above the ground) :laughing:

[Edit to clarify - Physical cache that is]

Edited by Guanajuato

Huh? You said highest cache!

Within a couple of minutes I'd clarified that I wanted a physical cache.

Interestingly, if you put the coords of the earthcache in Google earth (I know, no googling...), it puts you well west of the summit and down at 2700 ft, whilst the physical cache is very close to the summit and about the right height.

As you were in the right place I'll give you the mcDing.

'GCG6XD - Britain's highest Geocache' would be the correct answer...

For the sake of harmony (and allowing for the fact that I'd clarified after setting the question! :lol:), I'd given Rutson the Ding for the nearby earthcache.

But as he's not come back with a question yet (too busy caching?)

But the nearby earthcache is the wrong answer? It's also 700ft lower than the correct answer? I'm all for harmony, but there are many caches higher than the answer he gave - the virtual/physical issue not being relevant as the highest cache is a physical. Plus you'd changed the wording of the question 20 minutes BEFORE he answered... :lol::D:P:lol::D etc.