The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Followers 29

Well, judging from the answers it seems a third creature (cachers) should be added to the hibernating mammal list !

As Optimist on the Run was the sole responder to actually suggest 2 beasties, I award him the ding.

The correct answer was dormice and bats.

I'm off to curl up in a pile of leaves now ...

1 hour ago, speakers-corner said:

Then I shall start the countdown, I'll go for 37.

37 is correct. Although there are some other plays which are disputed, or considered lost, the definitive list according to shakespeare-online.com is as follows:

A Midsummer Night's Dream, All's Well That Ends Well, Antony and Cleopatra, As You Like It, Coriolanus, Cymbeline, Hamlet, Henry IV part 1, Henry IV part 2, Henry V, Henry VI part 1, Henry VI part 2, Henry VI part 3, Henry VIII, Julius Caesar, King John, King Lear, Love's Labour's Lost, Macbeth, Measure for Measure, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, Pericles, Richard II, Richard III, Romeo and Juliet, The Comedy of Errors, The Merchant of Venice, The Merry Wives of Windsor, The Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, The Winter's Tale, Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, Troilus and Cressida, Twelfth Night

Edited by Optimist on the run

Percy Shaw.

My grandad worked for a Birmingham manufacturing company during WW2, and told the tale of one of his bosses, who told him he should be open to considering new ideas: Apparently said boss while working 'oop North' had a chap come to see him and try to persuade him to take on his brilliant new idea ...  Percy Shaw with cats eyes . That boss was still kicking himself years later ....

Thanks for the ding , it's not often I can be confident enough of my answers to formulate the next question as soon as I press 'submit' !

But I did, and as I was thinking of grandad, he can provide the next question.

100 years ago almost to the day, grandad's regiment was ordered away from the Ypres area and sent off to fight in a different country entirely, one where, to everyone's relief, mud would feature far less in their lives.

Name that country !

Bingo.! (or whatever the Italian is for bingo ) ding to searcherdog

(With an honourable mention to speakers-corner who sent me the answer by e-mail yesterday, but had researched part of it so would not falsely claim the ding here.)

Italy was on our side in WW1 (unlike the next time ... ) Apparently Haig was not happy to take any men away from the Western Front, but Lloyd George insisted. The Italians had joined the war somewhat late, and got battered by the opposing Austro-Hungarian armies, especially when the German armr reinforced them (over 1.5 million lives lost from both sides in several battles) so French and British troops were sent to back them up.

Some first hand info about the logistics of the long, slow train journey for anyone interested here

They set off from the Western Front on the 23rd November, by today, 28th,  the records say:

"28th NOVEMBER
1917–1/1st Buckinghamshire Battalion  - IN THE TRAIN. En route to ITALY.
NO 1 TRAIN Route for Day:
PIACENZA arr 10.45am
PARMA arr 12.15pm
REGGIO arr 3.30pm
MODENA arr 6.45pm
BOLOGNA arr 8.40pm
Spent greater part of night in BOLOGNA Station: full advantage could not be taken of it by giving men and horses exercise owing to our never knowing when we might start.

NO 2 TRAIN Route for the Day
ST PIERRE D’ARENA – ARQUATA – NOVI – TORTONE – VOGHERA – STRADELLA – PIACENZA –PARMA
No incidents of importance during the day.
2 men of B Coy missed the train at STRADELLA, and did not rejoin during the journey.
Coys had teas at PIACENZA."

From mud to limestone mountains.
On his 21st birthday in January 1918 grandad was marching up one of those mountains to help protect a water source . Apparently as a gift, the officer carried his rifle all day for him.