The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I think that was 'The Village People' :laughing:

Just in case that answer wasn't ironic, I googled to check and AFAICT, The Village People didn't get going until five years after Machine Head was released and have not released an album by that name.

Clue: The band I seek are the same genre (i.e. hard rock/heavy metal) as Uriah Heep.

I think that was 'The Village People' :laughing:

Just in case that answer wasn't ironic, I googled to check and AFAICT, The Village People didn't get going until five years after Machine Head was released and have not released an album by that name.

Clue: The band I seek are the same genre (i.e. hard rock/heavy metal) as Uriah Heep.

It's a shame they didn't. I think it would have been a classic....

That could be one of two AFAICT.

The first band I'm thinking of would have appeared the record number times because they were both an act in their own right and also the backing band for the solo artist that appeared the most times for any act.

The second were just a prolific band .. and I'm going for them because I remember Rick Parfitt mentioning the record on the One Show a few weeks ago.

So, I'll plump for Status Quo (but hold the band I first mentioned in reserve!)

That could be one of two AFAICT.

The first band I'm thinking of would have appeared the record number times because they were both an act in their own right and also the backing band for the solo artist that appeared the most times for any act.

The second were just a prolific band .. and I'm going for them because I remember Rick Parfitt mentioning the record on the One Show a few weeks ago.

So, I'll plump for Status Quo (but hold the band I first mentioned in reserve!)

There’s no need for the reserves to be called on, as you have it right, with you first guess, which gets you the quick ding

That gets you the DING!

... which means that the other band I thought of in answer to martin&lindabryn's question was The Shadows.

Over to me N u ...

Thank you, we didn't really expect that!

On with the quiz, when Japanese is translated into English every word ends with a vowel or which letter?

Thanks.

For the next ding: How far on average along any meridian (i.e. due North or South) would you have to travel along the surface of the Earth for the northing co-ordinate on your GPSr to change by one degree of latitude?

(Although I'd prefer the answer in nautical miles, I'll accept answers in any reasonable units.)

That gets you the very quick DING!

FWIW, a nautical mile has the de-facto definition of the average distance along any meridian subtended by one minute of latitude. The length of one degree of longitude depends on the latitude at which you're measuring it (longer at the equator).

Over to koselig ...

Thanks for the ding and sorry for the delay in replying. I'm in France/Belgium with only limited wifi access.

Right, my question is, Derek Jacobi had a big TV hit on his hands when he appeared in 'I, Claudius'. Who wrote original novel of the same name, on which the screenplay was based?

Thanks for the ding and sorry for the delay in replying. I'm in France/Belgium with only limited wifi access.

Right, my question is, Derek Jacobi had a big TV hit on his hands when he appeared in 'I, Claudius'. Who wrote original novel of the same name, on which the screenplay was based?

Thank you - Mr me N u has been to Stromness several times and that street name is just one that sticks in your mind - Mrs me N u has never been so we must go for a visit so much to see apart from diving the German high seas fleet, unfortunately not so simple now we're at the other end of the UK!

Anyway, next question, staying in Orkney - what is the name of the Neolithic village, uncovered by a storm in 1850, now described as the best preserved prehistoric village in northern Europe?