The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Galloping Gertie finally collapsed in high winds.

Galloping Gertie was a suspension bridge that crossed the Tacoma narrows. The deck had a serious design flaw (lack of damping) which led to the deck oscillating wildly in high winds. The lack of damping lead to a runaway positive feedback that destroyed the span.

The footage of the deck oscillating in crosswinds is used today to provide a lesson in harmonic damping to student civil engineers. B)

I like a bit of sci-fi, me.

What was the name of the little boxy computer (which was housed in a clear perspex box/frame) on Blake's Seven?

(I'm just being clear there, about which computer I'm asking about. I'm NOT talking about the one integrated in to the ship)

Orac

Edit to add: Zen is the one you didn't want :rolleyes:

(and BTW Kirk's middle initial on the gravestone in the Pilot episode was R . From another sci-fi saddo :lol: )

Edited by MartyBartfast

I like a bit of sci-fi, me.

What was the name of the little boxy computer (which was housed in a clear perspex box/frame) on Blake's Seven?

(I'm just being clear there, about which computer I'm asking about. I'm NOT talking about the one integrated in to the ship)

Orac

Edit to add: Zen is the one you didn't want :rolleyes:

(and BTW Kirk's middle initial on the gravestone in the Pilot episode was R . From another sci-fi saddo :lol: )

That's a DING to Marty with a side order of kudos for Zen as well!

A width that I recall from childhood - I had a Dad who was very interested in steam trains.

Now then...

A few weeks ago we came upon the village of Rodney Stoke in Somerset. The road sign as you enter the village gives its name and underneath is written "A Thankful Village". I'd never seen such an unusual comment on a village name before, so I had to look it up when I got home.

Can you explain what it means?

MrsB

I thought so, having seen something about them last year. Remarkably there are some "doubly thankful" villages that didn't lose anyone in WW2 either.

We were in Somerset not that long ago, staying just south of Exmoor; a beautiful part of the world. So I'll keep my question in that part of the country.

What is the claim to fame of the "Man from Porlock"?