The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Sorry... got distracted for a while...

What are (or were) the "Bumblies"?

Hmmmm, I remember "The Jumblies" John, presented by Michael Bentine (young!) or was it a young Rolf Harris? But not the Bumblies!

Do you always have to show our age???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Edit Oh Yes and "they went to see in a sieve they did, they went to sea in a sieve.")

Edited by dodgydaved

Hmmmm, I remember "The Jumblies" John, presented by Michael Bentine (young!) or was it a young Rolf Harris? But not the Bumblies!

(Edit Oh Yes and "they went to see in a sieve they did, they went to sea in a sieve.")

I think "The Jumblies" were something from the imagination of Edward Lear, not Michael Bentine. Have another glass of Pinot Noir, Dave :)

I think "The Jumblies" were something from the imagination of Edward Lear, not Michael Bentine. Have another glass of Pinot Noir, Dave :)

Graduated to Malbec Kidder, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Googled it - thery were written by Mr lear but presented on Kidds BBC - as a sort of cartoon series I think - by Mr Bentine :P

Googled it - thery were written by Mr lear but presented on Kidds BBC - as a sort of cartoon series I think - by Mr Bentine :P

You're rattling around the right area, DD, so I'll give you a DING, but I think you've got the two (Jumblies and Bumblies) confused. The Bumblies were three little aliens from the Planet Bumble who came to Earth to study the children. They had numbers rather than names, being Bumbly One, Bumbly Two and Bumbly Three. They were indeed presented on children's TV by "Professor" Michael Bentine. [see LINK]. Not at all sure they had anything to do with Edward Lear's "Jumblies" who sailed away in sieve, though [see LINK]

Anyway... over to you.

PS... I still prefer Pinot Noir to Malbec :P

Considering my blushing mis-reading boo boo that is very generous John.

Asked during the Friday Quiz at "The Comrades" in Sunninghill in June last year:-

During the Great Plague, what was painted on the front doors of plague-ridden houses?

Red cross?

During the Great Plague, what was painted on the front doors of plague-ridden houses?

A red cross?

That's what I was taught at school, too.

And apparently it's a BS mash up of a single unattributed quote, and Victorian melodrama.

I was later told that front doors were either (a) left ajar by the body removers - and nobody else would venture close enough to the house to close them again. Or ( B) marked with a grey/white cross painted in an ash/water mix - as red paint was considered too expensive to waste marking a plague victim's door.....

Edited by keehotee

Many thanks for the correction Tim, but my

DING!!

goes to The Patrician!!

Over to you..............

Oooh, err! Controversy.

Probably right,I would think the last thing on your mind when half the population of the town is dropping dead around you is "What did I do with that bucket of red paint?"

Still on with the show....

Which is the oldest airline in the world still flying under its original name?

British Airways and Pan Am had previous names, so they're out. Even though Air France and KLM liveries can still be seen, they are now one airline ("Air France-KLM") as they merged in the last decade, and so they're also out. IIRC, Lufthansa formed from another merger in the late 1920s. So I suspect that leaves QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territories Air Services?) as the only airline from the early 1920s still operating under it's original name.

Edited to add: Darn it -- beaten by two minutes. When will I learn to just type the answer rather than giving an explanation. ;)

Edited by Pajaholic

Hm... I am going to go with KLM. Although it has merged ownership as KLM-AirFrance, if you get on a KLM aircraft you get on a KLM flight, not a KLM-AirFrance one. Mr F. think's KLM is older than Qantas but stopped during the war.

Ding!

7th October 1919 - Operations stopped during World War II apart from the operations in the Dutch Antilles in the Caribbean. Merged with Air France in 2004. Currently the oldest existing airline.

More controversy, I see it coming.....

Hey, Marty, if you're off out to the pub tonight, bring a question back with you! :laughing:

Oops, here's a proper pub quiz question then

General John Manners, was in the habit of setting up some of the old soldiers under his command as publicans when they left his service, many of whom gave the same name to their pub, what is that name?

(not at the pub but at home sharing a bottle of Chianti & a Toblerone!)

edit for typo

Edited by MartyBartfast

Something a bit different...

Jupiter is prominent in the western evening sky at the moment along with Venus. A good pair of binoculars or a small telescope will show up to four small bright dots in line with its equator. These are known as the Galilean moons. What are their names?

Jupiter is prominent in the western evening sky at the moment along with Venus. A good pair of binoculars or a small telescope will show up to four small bright dots in line with its equator. These are known as the Galilean moons. What are their names?

Io Titan Gannymede and Europa?

(guessing here, one or more might be from Saturn!)

Io Titan Gannymede and Europa?

(guessing here, one or more might be from Saturn!)

Io and Ganymede are right, Europa is a Jovian moon but not one of the Galileans and Titan is, as you thought, a moon of Saturn - it's largest moon in fact :)

Close but no ding ;)

Sounds like Worf in Star Trek TNG.

Good Tea, nice house -- possibly the episode where only a husband and wife were left on a planet; but the husband was some superior being who'd 'resurrected' a facsimile of his wife.

I an NOT a merry man -- when they first met Data in a holodeck simulation of Robin Hood

Today is a good day to die -- just about every other episode.

Edited by Pajaholic

Sounds like Worf in Star Trek TNG.

Good Tea, nice house -- possibly the episode where only a husband and wife were left on a planet; but the husband was some superior being who'd 'resurrected' a facsimile of his wife.

I an NOT a merry man -- when they first met Data in a holodeck simulation of Robin Hood

Today is a good day to die -- just about every other episode.

DING to Pajaholic.

Thanks.

Continuing the sci-fi theme ... I'm a sucker for pulp fiction, so this is one for E.E. 'Doc' Smith fans:

The first of the Skylark series (Skylark of Space) begins with Doctor Richard Seaton conducting an experiment when a steam bath unexpectedly flies off with terrific speed over a laboratory table, through an open window, and continues accelerating in a straight line out of sight. The phenomenon that caused this unexpected incident was later to power the Skylark. My question is simply, what was that source of power?

I've no idea who Doc smith is, or what the Skylark series was.

However the scenario sounds very much like an Isaac Asimov short story I read many years ago. I can't rememebr the exact plot but think it revolved around two scientists arguing over what would happen if you were playing pool and turned off gravity. To resolve the argument they invented an anti-gravity machine to test the theory. When they tried it the pool ball accelerated off killing one of the scientists.

So that's my answer; gravity