Sign in to follow this  
Followers 27
Simply Paul

The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ta.

Name the largest moon orbiting a planet in our solar system.

At this point someone's going to have to remind me of the rules...

I know there's no Googling, but how many goes am I allowed on each question? Do I have to wait until someone else has had a go before I chip in again (if more than one try is allowed)?

2 hours ago, mellers said:

I know there's no Googling, but how many goes am I allowed on each question? Do I have to wait until someone else has had a go before I chip in again (if more than one try is allowed)?

As many goes as you like, not sure whether it's etiquette to jump straight in with another guess before someone else has had a go, but I wouldn't complain.

However it's moot at this point 'cos speakers-corner beat you to it:

1 hour ago, speakers-corner said:

ganimede, or something like that. It is one of Jupiters moons.

that's a Dyng for Ganymede.

While checking where Titan came in the rankings I was a little surprised to find that our very own Moon (does it have another name?) is 4th largest!

Thanks for the Ding and the correct spelling of the name.

Complete change of theme.

There are two red lines in the Palace of Westminster. Where are they and why are they there?

And the Ding goes to Ootr. Yes they are the ones. They have a name but I have forgotten what they are called. Over to you.

In Conwy, North Wales. I went there in 1977 when I was with the Royal Engineers staying at the Adventure Training Camp in Betws-y-Coed.

Mr me N u being ex RAF thinks it is the British forces broadcasting serce

:D Which means you might have known the "Poison Dwarf" ( I have forgotten his real Name), Richard Astbury, Dave Lee Travis Tommy Vance to mention a few.

DING

6 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

:D Which means you might have known the "Poison Dwarf" ( I have forgotten his real Name), Richard Astbury, Dave Lee Travis Tommy Vance to mention a few.

DING

Some long forgotten names there and no we don't know the Poison Dwarfs real name either -and we won't use that as the next question :lol:

Staying with names, what is the name - we'll accept forename or surname - of the cgi meerkat whose catchphrase is "simples"?

And a quick DING to searcherdog who got both forename and surname.

And for another quick question ....

Two popular claymation characters refer to a particular type of cheese in their films. Name that cheese.

In about 240BC  a man performed an experiment involving a stick in  Alexandria and a well in Syene (both in Egypt), who was that man and what was the purpose of the experiment?

7 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

In about 240BC  a man performed an experiment involving a stick in  Alexandria and a well in Syene (both in Egypt), who was that man and what was the purpose of the experiment?

I know the answer, but I will let someone else claim it, however he used a tower in Alexandria and not a stick.

2 hours ago, tyzack4 said:

however he used a tower in Alexandria and not a stick.

If you read various sources on the subject you will find it described variously as a stick, pole, rod, gnomon (part of a sundial) and a tower; I went with the one I "was brough up on" but unless we have a reference from someone who was there then I guess it's all speculation.

Bugger, I was in Alexandria less than a week ago. Could have asked my tour guide. It's also possible he said something about it and I've promptly forgotten what - becoming more common as the years go by.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, Optimist on the run said:

Thanks. Which was the first railway line in Britain (and probably the world) to be preserved and operated by volunteers?

Isnt it the one that runs along the south coast, to the east of Portsmouth. dont know the Name of it though.

15 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

Isnt it the one that runs along the south coast, to the east of Portsmouth. dont know the Name of it though.

No - stick to Wales...

51 minutes ago, Optimist on the run said:

No - stick to Wales...

Thanks, but I am out for this round. after entering my answer I googled the question.