The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

OK, so this is an answer I don't actually know, per se - but I'm going to have a logical stab based on some stuff I do know and the way the question was worded... (don't laugh at the result!)

Given that Perseverance only just landed on Mars, I'm going to guess Mars is the first planet piece. I know Mars is the Roman God of War - and given that I know Jupiter was the bringer of Joy, my full answer is going to be a mismatch of all those 3 snippets

How about "Mars the bringer of war"?

On 2/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, Boggin's Dad said:

A ding to you MartyBartFast

It was John Harrison, The prize was £20000, quite a lot of money today, let alone in the mid 1700s

This is memorialised by the Show of Hands tune, here played at Abbotsbury in Dorset

Over to you

A while ago I read a book Longitude by Dava Sobel that was about Harrison. A good read.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, mellers said:

Which Berkshire town has the UK headquarters of Mars (them what makes the choccy bars)?

Time for a couple of hints, I think. Poet John Betjeman wrote a poem about this town which begins...
"Come, friendly bombs and fall..." and the TV series, 'The Office' was set in the sales office of a paper company there.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, searcherdog said:

Thank you.

It's possibly time for a harder question.

Mars Bars have been produced in many versions and sizes but when was the first Mars Bar made in Slough?  

This happened to be covered on a slightly old Food Programme I listened to yesterday - a recording of Roald Dahl gave it as 1932 I think.

Something rings a bell about a mission into Scandinavia involving a source of heavy water, I think it was something to do with preventing Germany using it in the development of nuclear weapons. I also recently read a book about the search for superheavy element, and there was a dismantling of Japanese research facilities in the aftermath of World War 2

I am going with deuterium or tritium oxide aka Heavy Water

Edited by Boggin's Dad