The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I have no idea so I Googled it and still have no idea except its a popular spot to visit and has a festival of some sort. Before doing that I thought it could be something along the line of SC's answer where in my state there is a spot somewhere on the east coast where you can see the sun across water.

6 hours ago, colleda said:

Thanks MB. Hunstanton is another now another go-to place on my next UK visit list - whenever that will be.

Q. Where in UK did Jimi Hendrix play an underground gig?

Easy for any fans - December '66 Chiselhurst  Caves.

19 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

I think that was the explosion of a munitions ship, though no idea of the name of the ship. IIRC it was supposedly the loudest man made noise ever.

That's a big loud ding to MartyBartfast. It was between an empty cargo ship and a french ship carrying a load of high explosive. It was a very slow collision estimated at 1kt. Apparently some fuel drums on the deck  ship of the french ship ruptured. The spilt fuel ignited and made its way into the holds. Yes biggest and loudest bang (man made?) ever. Estimated force of a couple of kilotons. About 9000 people injured. Many thousands were made homeless.

Over to you MB.

Decimal currency. That was my guess too as I remember it being about two years after here in Oz - 14/2/1966. I worked in a bank at the time.I still have a couple of thousand pennies and ha'pennies that I often drop in caches, including on my trips along UK canals.

And the answers ....

The first decimal coins were introduced starting 23rd April 1968

Decimalisation was 15th February 1971

The shilling remained until 31st December 1990 leaving the florin as the last remaining old coin.

The new size smaller decimal coins were introduced in 1992

The florin ceased to be legal tender on 30th June 1993

So the DING (or should that be jangle of coins) goes to MartyBartfast with good logic and only a few years out.

Thanks.

A three part question, first one to give me all three correct gets the DING, so please name:

1. The highest mountain in the world, i.e. the one with the peak highest above sea level.
  2. The highest mountain in the world, i.e. the one with it's peak highest above the Earth's centre.
  3. The tallest mountain in the world, i.e. the one which has the greatest vertical distance from its base to its peak.

Let’s see if our confidence is misplaced ?

1) Mount Everest

2) We think it’s in Ecuador, and the distance from the earths centre is due to the earth not being a perfect sphere and bulging slightly at the equator, but we have no idea of the name.

3) Mauna Kea, Hawaii.

1 hour ago, me N u said:

Let’s see if our confidence is misplaced ?

1) Mount Everest

2) We think it’s in Ecuador, and the distance from the earths centre is due to the earth not being a perfect sphere and bulging slightly at the equator, but we have no idea of the name.

3) Mauna Kea, Hawaii.

Correct in all respects, 2 is  Chimborazo

Over to you

This one is close to home as my father fought the Japanese in New Guinea. It was 15 August after the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It may have been still 14th in UK I'm guessing due to time zone differences. The actual surrender document was signed in early September (the month of my father's birthday) on board the USS Missouri in Tokyo.

My mother's birthday was on Armistice Day 1921,  November 11.

10 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Is that one of those mud skipper things, that looks like a cross between a fish and a newt and uses it's "fins" to drag itself across the mud?

Nope. I believe that's an amphibian, like a mud skipper or axolotl. Think reptilian.

5 hours ago, colleda said:

No takers for the Land Mullet?

Answer: It is the largest of the skink family of reptiles growing up to 50cm long.

I have another question in its place.

What type of creature(?) is a cockentrice?

It is a government briefing - a load of C**k , written in a trice!!

6 hours ago, colleda said:

No takers for the Land Mullet?

Answer: It is the largest of the skink family of reptiles growing up to 50cm long.

I have another question in its place.

What type of creature(?) is a cockentrice?

It's one of those dishes which consists of one animal stuffed inside another animal(s), and then roasted, sort of like a Russian doll roast; I don't know whether it has specific animals, if so I don't know which.

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

It's one of those dishes which consists of one animal stuffed inside another animal(s), and then roasted, sort of like a Russian doll roast; I don't know whether it has specific animals, if so I don't know which.

You're close.

It's the front half of one animal joined to the rear half of another, stuffed and roasted. Popular in Tudor times.

But what two animals were they?