The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Complete change of subject & something healthy.

Oranges, apples & tomatoes can be described as basically round.  Cucumbers, marrows, leeks are kind of long.  Pears are - well - pear-shaped.  But what fruit or veg might have "triangular" ascribed to it?

If no-one gets the answer in the next two days I may then be offline for a week so will return here when I can.

I know - I have tried cooking it myself & had it in an Indian restaurant.  Even when not slimy I just found it disgusting!  However I do love Marmite, which repels many people!  And as a child was always begging to take my brother's dose of cod liver oil as well as my own - yum!!

On 9/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, Optimist on the run said:

Ah - you mean something from the rhubarb triangle.

And what you get from the triangle is rhubarb of course - so a ding to Optimist!  If you read the question I only suggested "triangular" as being ascribed & not a literal description.

On a very iffy wifi signal here or I would post a link but if you google you will find the triangle famous for rhubarb is between Morley, Rothwell & Wakefield & is a Place of Designated Origin.  This forum is nothing if not educashunal!!!!

10 hours ago, me N u said:

Ding to colleda!

That is the common plural, the uncommon being mongeese.

A lucky guess. I assumed it could be similar to the plural for platypus - platypuses.

OK, one for train buffs or spotters maybe.

London has the worlds oldest underground rail. What city has the second oldest?

5 hours ago, Boggin's Dad said:

Ipswich? Norwich?

I suspect my previous guesses are incorrect, so I will go with Istanbul.

A ding goes to BD.

The Istanbul Tunel opened Jan 1875 making it the second oldest urban underground after London.

I was there a year ago and stayed at a hotel quite close to it but did not use it. The trams were sufficient for my needs.

Am surprised that this has stumped the usual crowd... perhaps my childhood interest in stamp collecting has led me to believe this bit of pub trivia is more well-known than it actually is. 

Here is the chap in question (on a stamp appropriately, enough) 
ipage_2_0.jpg

He was knighted and his DoB-DoD are: 1795 - 1879
The first stamp to utilise his idea was the Penny Black. 

4 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

Sir Robert Peel created the modern police force.

That was a total stab in the dark. I knew about the Peelers. The night before I'd been watching a program on the box about Victorian Britain and his was the only name I could think of except for Brunel but discounted him as he was an engineer.