The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

8 hours ago, colleda said:

I am no authority on UK PMs but I had a think about this and thought maybe it was someone who, to me made or had little impact on the political scene. The only name I could come up with was John Major?

4 minutes ago, South_Stander said:

I'm thinking Anthony Eden.

He took office after Churchill retired. MacMillan followed him as PM after two years as Eden resigned through ill health.

Colleda, John Major's premiership ended with a General Election, when he was replaced by Tony Blair.

South_Stander - you're so close I'm going to give the ding to you, as you've stated the person I was looking for. Macmillan also retired through ill health, and was replaced by Alec Douglas-Home. So over to you...

12 minutes ago, Optimist on the run said:

South_Stander - you're so close I'm going to give the ding to you, as you've stated the person I was looking for. Macmillan also retired through ill health, and was replaced by Alec Douglas-Home. So over to you...

I actually forgot all about Douglas-Home. In my head I went from Harold MacMillan straight to Harold Wilson.

Ok, another topical one. Today is set to be the hottest day on record in the UK with temperatures due to hit 39°C (102°F). But where is the hottest place on Earth, according to the World Meteorological Organisation, with an average air temperature of 46.1°C (115°F), and a highest record of 56.7°C (134°F)? 

9 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Thanks.

It's being widely reported in the news that trains will be running slower due to the risk of tracks buckling in the heat, but what's the standard UK rail track gauge?

4' 8.5"

We learned this in primary school as the rail tracks in NSW use the same gauge. Queensland has narrow gauge 3'6" and Victoria is 5'2'. I remember as a kid traveling by train from Sydney to Melbourne required a change of trains at Albury NSW, on the NSW/Victoria border.

Edited by colleda
aditional info
24 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Well I know he was a The Alamo with Jim Bowie (or was that just in the movie?) so I'll guess Texas.

He was at the Alamo which was then in the the state of Tejas, Mexico  and is where he died but was not born there.  This is a hint of sorts.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:09 PM, grimpil said:

Not seen any activity on this forum recently but just popped in for a browse & hey!  There is a question to which I am pretty sure I know the answer.  Fingers firmly crossed. . . . . Arthur?

I took the liberty of Googling and Arthur is correct, so as Boggin's Dad seems to be on a sabattical I'll take a liberty and give a DING to Grimpil to keep things moving.

Over to Grimpil