The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

21 hours ago, searcherdog said:

The only longest flight I know is the Tardebigge flight near Worcester. I opened and closed every one of the 30 locks and walked (err, ran) most of the 2+ miles as our boss was quicker than me.   I haven't experienced the Caen Hill flight so pass.

Longest flight I ever did was Hatton - and that was hot & thirsty work :):):)

On 5/1/2019 at 6:18 AM, MartyBartfast said:

Thanks.

The Blue Peter is also the name of a signal flag, which appears in the message below:

image.png.7ec46c82c95040ccb7221023729b867a.png

What does this message say?

Warning. OT. In those days was there a way of encrypting  signals as they would visible to the enemy?

On 5/14/2019 at 12:37 AM, colleda said:

Warning. OT. In those days was there a way of encrypting  signals as they would visible to the enemy?

It was a code known only to the British fleet. The code had been changed in 1803, two years before Trafalgar,  as the previous code book had been captured by the French. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_expects_that_every_man_will_do_his_duty

On 5/15/2019 at 6:20 PM, MartyBartfast said:

OK me hearties, looks like searcherdog isn't going to take up the baton so.....

Go

first one in gets to set the next question.

Sorry everybody. I didn't get any computer notification from this thread. Yes, communication by flag would have been quicker.  My computer has been very sick after several updates disagreed with it and it's taken me ages to get back to almost working order.

And no, I don't know SuperTed's sidekick so I look forward to reading the answer.

5 hours ago, searcherdog said:

Well, we haven't had further guesses from the other two and it's probably time to move this thread on.

So, for everyone including those who have googled or equivalent .........

Why was the first jigsaw invented?

For teaching the children of George III and Queen Charlotte, international boundaries. A map was glued to a wooden board and then cut up along country boundaries.

The original question was "What was the picture on the first puzzle?" which had two possible answers depending on which source is used. One source gives a map of the UK counties and the other gives a map of Europe. 

The tie breaker question - I was expecting "teaching geography" so Colleda gets the DING!!

In 2011 Christchurch, New Zealand, was devastated by an earthquake. The beautiful and historic stone Christchurch Cathedral was almost destroyed. Whilst being repaired (the repairs are still not complete) a temporary cathedral was built. What unusual material was used in its construction which has led to it becoming a tourist attraction.

10 hours ago, colleda said:

In 2011 Christchurch, New Zealand, was devastated by an earthquake. The beautiful and historic stone Christchurch Cathedral was almost destroyed. Whilst being repaired (the repairs are still not complete) a temporary cathedral was built. What unusual material was used in its construction which has led to it becoming a tourist attraction.

Cardboard

4 hours ago, colleda said:

A ding to Optimist.

This cathedral was designed by a Japanese architect. Probably more fitting than a cardboard crane;).

I was there in April and it is truely an amazing piece of work.

Over to you OOTR

Thanks. I was there in 2002, in my pre-digital days. It was only when the earthquake happened that I looked back through my photos and realised I hadn't got a single one of the old cathedral. :(

Garfield, the cartoon cat, is about to celebrate another birthday. In which year was the cartoon strip first published?