The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ok, Ill give the Ding to Sharpeset.

What I was looking for was football and Bernhard "Bert" Trautmann. 1956 FA Cup Final, he broke his neck in the 75th Minute after colliding with Peter Murphy (Birmingham City). He carried on until the end of the game. 3 days later he was diagnosed with having dislocated 5 vertebrae, the second of which was broken.

Over to you.

wow. didn't expect that. It was a guess from a line of a rhyme I heard years ago. "Where Noah, Japhet, Ham and Shem probably look after them". I don't remember the rest of it. Then I thought about the 2x2 so added their partners.

I'll have to think something up and it won't be football related.

Has everyone sailed away?  Or are you all up a creek without a paddle?  I learned this interesting fact from a quiz last year & it did have almost everyone (including me at the time) stumped, which is probably why I have remembered it.

I don't recall seeing Timothy & Pru on this one.  

When I learned of it last year I looked it up on a map & realised I had seen it many years ago on a visit to the area.  Had not known then of it's ancient origin.  Cannot really give any more clues without giving it away so if no-one gets it I will hand over to MartyB in 24 hours.

7 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

I have to admit, I've now Googled for an answer, and still can't find anything. Perhaps a hint would be helpful.

I just googled Bridgwater Canal and got the wrong one!  Googling Bridgwater Worsley Canal gave me a wikipaedia entry with a very brief mention of the vessels concerned'

MartyB mentions the Tom Puddings - cube like craft pushed or pulled in long chains by a motor - and searcherdog says he knew the why but only part of the what.

I am off on my hols soon so I'll give you the answer - They were called Starvationers - because the ribs of the vessel were built strongly to cope with the wear and tear of hauling minerals, and they stuck out!

Here's a tie breaker - much easier I think - for Optimist, MartyB and searcherdog:

The longest flight of locks on an English Canal is, I believe, the Caen Hill Flight.

On which canal is it?    3......2.......1.....GO!

32 minutes ago, dodgydaved said:

Here's a tie breaker - much easier I think - for Optimist, MartyB and searcherdog:

The longest flight of locks on an English Canal is, I believe, the Caen Hill Flight.

On which canal is it?    3......2.......1.....GO!

The only longest flight I know is the Tardebigge flight near Worcester. I opened and closed every one of the 30 locks and walked (err, ran) most of the 2+ miles as our boss was quicker than me.   I haven't experienced the Caen Hill flight so pass.