The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

1 hour ago, Optimist on the run said:

Presumably from the Middle East then. I believe there was a Roman version of tic-tac-toe or nine mans morris, but whther they invented it or imported in from further east I don't know.

Its not one of those games, but your getting there,.It isnt Roman, but the Romans were in the country where this game comes from. 5 letters beginning with "S". So no more hints

I had three games in mind , my first choice would have been go, third mancala , but your hint confirms you want the Ancient Egyptian senet .

I'm surprised people still play senet, I've only come across it in a historical context whilst the other two are still popular. Plus I suspect as the age of these games must rely on archaeological evidence I bet the  Chinese would  say go (which is of course how you start a pudding race) was the oldest, ditto Africa and mancala

17 hours ago, grimpil said:

Thank you!

Staying on the literature theme here is a quote from a favourite book.  I often used to keep these words on my desk or as a screen saver, but where does it come from?

"I like work: it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours"

Jerome K. Jerome.

Cheers!

The fictional Ankh Morpork takes part of its name from the River Ankh which runs through the city... so

What was the historical name of the real-life area of land, situated between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers; a translation for which can mean literally "between two rivers".

1 hour ago, mellers said:

Cheers!

The fictional Ankh Morpork takes part of its name from the River Ankh which runs through the city... so

What was the historical name of the real-life area of land, situated between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers; a translation for which can mean literally "between two rivers".

I remember this from my long gone uni days....the same name is used for an area of Oxford  - Mesopatomia