The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks Optimist on the run. 30 locks raising the canal 67 metres in just over 2 miles.

Next question.....

Which food

- is not grown in the UK

- was first sold as a luxury item in 1901

- was classified as an essential food during wartime rationing

- is apparently now eaten by most people at least once a week

- has been loosely connected to geocaching since 2010?

21 hours ago, searcherdog said:

Thanks Optimist on the run. 30 locks raising the canal 67 metres in just over 2 miles.

Next question.....

Which food

- is not grown in the UK

Rice? I'm not aware of geocaching connections though.

On 18/08/2018 at 6:37 PM, searcherdog said:

Next question.....

Which food

- is not grown in the UK

Not frogs or pigeons then.

Hamsters maybe?

According to my late lamented Grandma an antimacassar was a piece of cloth draped over the back of a sofa or upholstered chair, in the 'front room' (the posh one only used for visitors.and high holidays). Sort of tea towel sized, I believe it was something to do with keeping gentleman's hair oil off the best furniture, at at Grandma's house the antimacassars were embroidered, sort of decorative, and had long outlasted the hair oil  fashion which I'd guess was probably popular in her youth, she was born around 1900

10 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

According to my late lamented Grandma an antimacassar was a piece of cloth draped over the back of a sofa or upholstered chair, in the 'front room' (the posh one only used for visitors.and high holidays). Sort of tea towel sized, I believe it was something to do with keeping gentleman's hair oil off the best furniture, at at Grandma's house the antimacassars were embroidered, sort of decorative, and had long outlasted the hair oil  fashion which I'd guess was probably popular in her youth, she was born around 1900

That's a ding for you. As you said, to protect upholstery of chairs and sofas from hair oil which was known a Macassar Oil. Very Victorian.

Thanks for the ding,

now an easy question , and one that was asked in an actual pub qui a couple of years ago, but the team around me didn't believe I knew the answer so preferred a guess, and gave a wrong answer instead. They were people with encyclopedic knowledge of TV soap operas, spectator sport and pop music, friends of a neighbour of mine. Yes, It still rankles  ...

What is the most common origin of the bristles of a camel hair brush ?

Artist's "camel hair" brushes are not camel, fox or badger hair (altho' shaving brushes were indeed badger )

I spent some time photographing an orphaned handreared badger cub for the local wildlife hospital a few years ago, and from close up (very close up, I was lying down to get at snout level, and he was treated to a snack of worms just in front of me ) their fur is like a dandelion seed head, not thick but incredibly fine. I'd imagine it might not be sufficiently stiff to make a good precise paint brush.

Squirrel  it is :lol: Ding !

Yep, camel hair brushes are squirrel hair brushes, and Tufty was a squirrel.

The Tufty Club was a long ago TV road safety campaign , and a later one featured the Green Cross  Code Man, played by actor Dave Prowse.

As every geek knows, Prowsa was the actor & bodybuilder who provided the physical representation of Darth Vader in the original Star Wars films, altho' apparently his Bristolian accent didn't quite produce the required level of menace, so the voice was provided by James Earl Jones. Excellent video here

6 hours ago, searcherdog said:

1 Find a phone box

2 Does it work?

3 Does it take coins?

4 Allowing for inflation, it will be over 50p by now AND there's no cache in there to find while you phone!

1. Done that didnt help - in Germany - wrong currency

2. They should work

3. More than likely.

4. Inflation, more than 50p - I shall up my bid from 5p to 60p.

11 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

1. Done that didnt help - in Germany - wrong currency

2. They should work

3. More than likely.

4. Inflation, more than 50p - I shall up my bid from 5p to 60p.

Ring ring to speakers-corner.

60p is the answer we were looking for

5 hours ago, dodgydaved said:

0p for 999 call.......

Technically the correct answer, but not the one we had in mind, sorry.