The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well I think I've stumped you on this one, so I'll give you the answer, which is that the authors (CS Lewis, Aldous Huxley and John F Kennedy) all died on the same day - 22 November 1963. I'll give the ding to hal-an-tow for identifying two of the authors.

I wasn't expecting anyone to identify JFK as the author of the third book, but I thought that the coincidence of their deaths was a fairly well-known bit of pub quiz trivia, so I thought people might work it out by connecting Lewis and Huxley. However it's always difficult to judge what other people know, so if I made it too hard I apologise!

Over to hal-an-tow...

Edited by Optimist on the run
John F Kennedy, not John F Huxley!
13 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

Not him,  sorry.

Hintage : I've used (approximate) translations into english, or definitions of. the character's actual names.

And as with the JFK question, the third one on the list is probably the easiest way to the answer ...

Given the hint ref translation, and the fact that Niemand (German) translates to no one or 'Nobody ', I'm guessing they are Mister Men created by Roger Hargreaves

Interesting, but no,  the author I'm after wrote books with a higher reading age ... and the 'no-one' is not translated from German ...

Further clues: the first two characters were travel companions in the same book , 'no-one ' was a villan in a different book, both books have been filmed ( probably several times ).

The author died when Huxley and Lewis were still schoolboys ...

22 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

I'm getting my authors confused - Philleas Fogg was Jules Verne.

I seem to remember that Phineas Fogg's manservant was called PassePartout, the French for a masterkey.  If that completes the puzzle give the "Ding" to Optimist please, he did all the hard work :lol:

Optimist gets the ding for Jules Verne , honourable mention to dodgydaved for adding another 33% of the answer .

Yep, from  'Round the World in 80 days ' (and more recently, expensive crisps) Phileas Fogg, his servant Passepartout ( French for goes all places, also a word for a passkey/masterkey )  and the third one was Captain Nemo from 20000 Leagues under the Sea : nemo is Latin for no one.

As often happens the bit I though was the giveaway folk would get first (nemo) turned out to be nothing of the kind !

4 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

Hope no-one objects if I give this thread a reboot. A really tricky one - which team won the World Cup in 1966? (Googling allowed!)

So many world cups to choose from, according to google they include  :

Athletics, badminton, baseball, basketball, chess, cricket, show jumping, rugby league, gymnastics, hockey (field ) , hockey (ice)  tennis,  triathlon, canoe slalom, diving,  water polo, synchronised swimming, skiing, archery, boxing,  fencing,  kabaddi,  netball, orienteering, lacrosse, wrestling tae kwan do ...

Have I missed anything out ? :D Yes, I'm joking ...

2 hours ago, Boggin's Dad said:

As a stab in the dark, Were they both designed by the same architect?

if it is not that I do not have a clue

DING to Boggin's Dad.   This came up on Great British Rail Journeys a week or so ago, with that Portillo bloke. Love seeing all those places he gets to.

A ding for Optimist on the run.

Mines Rescue is correctly Cave & Mines Rescue.

It is surprising how many people don't know the six services - but as said it depends where you live.  No point calling Coastguard in Wolverhampton, or Mountain Rescue on the Norfolk coast!

We arrived at the locks towards the end of my first week on a narrowboat.. Our steersman expected us to take hours and meet lots of boats coming down. We were lucky and didn't have to wait at any lock.  I prepared and opened, our steersman had the narrowboat and my colleague closed. We were supposed to have a break half way up but we were doing so well that we just carried on. The incentive was a hot shower and dinner at the top!   Definite feeling of achievement on completion plus an enjoyable week trying something new.

10 hours ago, searcherdog said:

We arrived at the locks towards the end of my first week on a narrowboat.. Our steersman expected us to take hours and meet lots of boats coming down. We were lucky and didn't have to wait at any lock.  I prepared and opened, our steersman had the narrowboat and my colleague closed. We were supposed to have a break half way up but we were doing so well that we just carried on. The incentive was a hot shower and dinner at the top!   Definite feeling of achievement on completion plus an enjoyable week trying something new.

It's quite surprising, and satisfying, how quickly you can get through a flight when there is no congestion and you get a rythm working.