The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Im tempted to ask, "Do you 'ave a rheum ?" , but that's not really a pub quiz question is it !

So, keeping with the theme of silly films I love, here's a quote:

" All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? "

My question is, what did the Romans do for cachers ?

The answer is NOT in Reg's list I quoted, and it's as good as their bright idea of taxes.

IV ! :D

Wow, that gets the prize for the wittiest reply I've ever seen on here :back:

It's not actually  the answer I'm looking for (despite me wondering if I can get away with claiming it is so it looks like it was me that thought up that excellent joke ) but if no-one guesses the actual answer soon the baton will be passed to the optimist ....

stinger.jpg.33114320fb41a8d2aa2dd1ed6e866dab.jpg

The answer is stinging nettles

The story goes that our islands native nettles were sting free varieties, but the Romans bought seeds of stinging species with them to use as a bracing warm up in our climate, thrashing themeslves with bunches of nettle stalks. I'm not sure I entirely believe that (as stingers are more common around ruined old habitations due to the , ahem, residues left in the soil, it could just be a folk tale conflating ruins and Romans) but then it has been on QI,  so it must be true .

If only the invaders had borrowed some nice celtic trousers instead of wearing sandals & skirts, our summer caching would have been less painful.

Over to OOTR who gets the amused ding :back:

5 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

Thanks for the ding there.

Staying with comedians, In which town was Benny Hill born and in which town did he die?

I think he died  in Teddington but haven't a clue where he was born unless that was also Teddington.

23 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

Thats half a ding, see if you can get the rest.

I have probably read it somewhere but there's no way I can remember. I'll guess and say India. The only reason I remembered Teddington is because I have a friend who lives there.

On 13/05/2018 at 4:17 PM, colleda said:

I have probably read it somewhere but there's no way I can remember. I'll guess and say India. The only reason I remembered Teddington is because I have a friend who lives there.

Would that be Two Ton Ted from Teddington (he drove the baker's van ... ) ?

Tragic how I recall lines from a terrible novelty single from decades ago, but for the life of me can't remember my own mobile number ...

That's a ding as the question was what country. The most recognised, officially, was an Australian Lewis gunner named Buie. However, there is another contender, an Australian named Popov with a possibly better claim. It was established, without doubt when Richthoffen's plane and wound were  examined after he crashed, that the single bullet that killed him came from ground fire. See

Over 2 u Me N  u

OK, all I know about either of the 2 I can identify makes them different, not similar - Lewis , obtrusively Christian , Huxley atheist, Lewis unreadable, Huxley readable, Lewis an inkling , Huxley not , Lewis prissy, Huxley keen on mind altering substances ...

I know Huxley had a grandfather (TH Huxley, a strong supporter of that controversial upstart C. Darwin) who was a famous biologist , so did Lewis and author I don't know of both have famous grandparents too ?

I'm grasping at straws here !

Edited by hal-an-tow
I said Huxley when I meant Lewis. I'm confused.