The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

On the night of November 9th 1989 at 23:30 Lt.-Col. Harald Jäger, after being faced by a crowd of 20000 East German protesters, gave the order to the 46 armed guards at Bornholmer Straße to open the barriers and stand aside. With this historic order he opened the Berlin Wall.

For weeks, my wife and I had been following the events leading up to this because we have relatives living in East Germany.

The Ding goes to Boggin's Dad

West Berlin was created in the aftermath of World War 2. It was an enclave within East Germany, and blockaded in the late 1940s; the only way to get supplies into the city was by air, and between June 1948 and September 1949 the Berlin Airlift delivered all the goods this city needed to function

My question is what was the area (in square kilometres) of West Berlin?

I will use the trusted higher/lower technique of getting closer should it not hit exactly.

8 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

Thanks for the DING Boggin's Dad.

Going from geography to history with a 2-part question.

Who was the first English king to marry a German woman, and what was her name.

It depends whether you mean from Germany as a state, or from the region that is now called Germany. As the unified state we now call Germany didn't exist before the 19th Century, it will presumably be a king from the 20th Century, after Victoria. Although I don't know if she was German or not, I'll guess Mary of Teck, wife of George V.

14 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

It depends whether you mean from Germany as a state, or from the region that is now called Germany. As the unified state we now call Germany didn't exist before the 19th Century, it will presumably be a king from the 20th Century, after Victoria. Although I don't know if she was German or not, I'll guess Mary of Teck, wife of George V.

OK, you got me there. It is from the region that is now called Germany. Have another go.

I will give the Ding to Optimist as he has in fact given me the names I was looking for.

The king was Henry VIII and his German wife was Anne of Cleves, or rather Anna von Kleve. She was born in Düsseldorf in 22.09.1515.

Catherine of Aragon - Spanish

Anne Boleyn - Norfolk

Jane Seymour - place of birth unknown but English

Catherine Howard - London

Catherine Parr - London

So, over to you.

Edited by speakers-corner

Oooo, Colleda has different info! We visited soon after it opened when it was powered by hamsters. I wonder if gerbils supply more paw power or are easier to train....?

The day we visited was one of those lovely days in a long spell of wet ones. The view from the top was wonderful and the exhibition was informative. Well worth a visit.

Anyway, the next question....   

In 2000, the Butterley Company manufactured and erected the Falkirk Wheel.

The same company completed the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth in 2005 and the large arched bridge over the railway lines near the entrance to London's 2012 Olympic Park in 2009.

In 1867 / 8, they were also responsible for the 7000 tons of wrought and cast iron which formed the largest single spanned roof in the world at that time. This roof is still visible today at which railway station?

On ‎08‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 11:23 PM, Beach_hut said:

Thanks for the ding and apologies for the late reply.

Next question:

Only one London station on the Monopoly board wasn't mentioned in the previous question, either in my answer or in speakers-corner's reply. Name it.

(point of information, s-c, hasn't that got a tube connection as well?)

Yes it has, but it is not considered a major mainline station.

Edited by speakers-corner

This train is ready to leave. Please mind the closing doors. Beep beep beep ....... DING!

Apparently both Edgware Road and Hammersmith have two stations which are on different lines but have the same name. Sometimes these are counted as one, sometimes as two. Therefore the score is either 268 names or 270 stations.

Over to colleda!