The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks for the ding.

The last question was asked in the spirit of Bruce Forsyth, with whom I have something in common. Also Julie Walters and George Washington amongst others.

And also Lord Baden Powell. With that in mind, what unusual commonality did Lord Baden Powell have with his wife? (aside from being married of course)

4 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

He - founder of the Scouts

she - founder of the Girl Guides

Not what I'm after. Although she became Chief Guide, you'd argue either he founded Guiding himself or his sister did.

I'm after something all the people mentioned have in common (including me), as well as the Baden Powells.

They share the same birth date.

A week or so ago there was some discussion in the forums about scout caches and I went in search of more information about something to do with scouting (I've forgotten what) and I ended up reading about Lord Baden-Powell. Which led to me reading about his wife as i never knew if he was ever married and happened to pick up on the connection.

8 hours ago, colleda said:

They share the same birth date.

A week or so ago there was some discussion in the forums about scout caches and I went in search of more information about something to do with scouting (I've forgotten what) and I ended up reading about Lord Baden-Powell. Which led to me reading about his wife as i never knew if he was ever married and happened to pick up on the connection.

That's a Ding for you! Baden Powell and his wife, (and Brucie, and Julie Walters, and George Washington and me too) were born on February 22.

My first "ding".

Awesome, as the young ones say.

Francis Greenway was an English architect, and famously known in the colony of NSW as the designer of many fine Sydney buildings. He arrived in Sydney as a convict after a conviction for forgery and sentenced to death which was commuted to transportation for 14 years.

The question is, where is he buried? Recieve a bonus ding for the GC code.

19 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

Bumping this thread. I admit to having Googled the answer, and I really don't think anyone's going to guess it. It's not a place I've heard of anyway.

...............and according to Wikipaedia it is only believed he was buried there - no marked grave!

On 17/10/2017 at 3:28 AM, me N u said:

As nobody else has had a go.

We are not sure of the exact meaning or the exact area in question, but believe it has something to do with convicts being taken to the public execution area and being allowed to stop for "a final refreshment" en route.

That's close enough for a ding.

On our recent visit to London we were told, by a tour guide, that it refered to prisoners being taken by wagon to the gallows along the road from newgate prison to Tyburn (somewhere near Marble Arch). They were, it was said, allowed to stop at a pub for one last drink - "one for the road". If a prisoner chose not to take up the offer he remained "on the wagon" .

Over to you.

Well, judging from the answers it seems a third creature (cachers) should be added to the hibernating mammal list !

As Optimist on the Run was the sole responder to actually suggest 2 beasties, I award him the ding.

The correct answer was dormice and bats.

I'm off to curl up in a pile of leaves now ...

1 hour ago, speakers-corner said:

Then I shall start the countdown, I'll go for 37.

37 is correct. Although there are some other plays which are disputed, or considered lost, the definitive list according to shakespeare-online.com is as follows:

A Midsummer Night's Dream, All's Well That Ends Well, Antony and Cleopatra, As You Like It, Coriolanus, Cymbeline, Hamlet, Henry IV part 1, Henry IV part 2, Henry V, Henry VI part 1, Henry VI part 2, Henry VI part 3, Henry VIII, Julius Caesar, King John, King Lear, Love's Labour's Lost, Macbeth, Measure for Measure, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, Pericles, Richard II, Richard III, Romeo and Juliet, The Comedy of Errors, The Merchant of Venice, The Merry Wives of Windsor, The Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, The Winter's Tale, Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, Troilus and Cressida, Twelfth Night

Edited by Optimist on the run

Percy Shaw.

My grandad worked for a Birmingham manufacturing company during WW2, and told the tale of one of his bosses, who told him he should be open to considering new ideas: Apparently said boss while working 'oop North' had a chap come to see him and try to persuade him to take on his brilliant new idea ...  Percy Shaw with cats eyes . That boss was still kicking himself years later ....

Thanks for the ding , it's not often I can be confident enough of my answers to formulate the next question as soon as I press 'submit' !

But I did, and as I was thinking of grandad, he can provide the next question.

100 years ago almost to the day, grandad's regiment was ordered away from the Ypres area and sent off to fight in a different country entirely, one where, to everyone's relief, mud would feature far less in their lives.

Name that country !