The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Looking at this logically, I can discount any letter for which I can identify two cities. So the following are discounted: A (Aberdeen, Armargh), B (Bath, Bristol), C (Cardiff, Chester), D (Durham, Derby), E (Edinburgh, Exeter), G (Gloucester, Glasgow), L (Liverpool, Leicester), N (Norwich, Newcastle), P (Plymouth, Portsmouth), R (Reading, Ripon), S (Swansea, Southampton), W (Winchester, Wolverhampton)

I can't think of any cities that start with F, I, J, Q, U, V, X and Z

That leaves H (Hereford), K (Kingston-Upon-Hull), M (Manchester), O (Oxford), T (Truro), Y (York), which gives 6. I've lost two somewhere -- but hopefully I've given enough.

Looking at this logically, I can discount any letter for which I can identify two cities. So the following are discounted: A (Aberdeen, Armargh), B (Bath, Bristol), C (Cardiff, Chester), D (Durham, Derby), E (Edinburgh, Exeter), G (Gloucester, Glasgow), L (Liverpool, Leicester), N (Norwich, Newcastle), P (Plymouth, Portsmouth), R (Reading, Ripon), S (Swansea, Southampton), W (Winchester, Wolverhampton)

That leaves H (Hereford), K (Kingston-Upon-Hull), M (Manchester), O (Oxford), T (Truro), Y (York), which gives 6. I've lost two somewhere -- but hopefully I've given enough.

I think Ripon would count, as Reading is a town rather than a city.

I think Ripon would count, as Reading is a town rather than a city.

And I think Inverness would be the 8th one, as Optimist on the run suggested above.

So, summing up: Pajaholic contributes "H (Hereford), K (Kingston-Upon-Hull), M (Manchester), O (Oxford), T (Truro), Y (York)."

Boggin's Dad adds :"I think Ripon would count, as Reading is a town rather than a city."

Optimist on the run plonks the cherry on top with "And I think Inverness"

That crowdfunded answer looks good to me! But who gets the ding ... now that's a conundrum for Yorkshire Yellow - it's going to be like infant school sports day ("You are all winners ... but ... ")

So, summing up: Pajaholic contributes "H (Hereford), K (Kingston-Upon-Hull), M (Manchester), O (Oxford), T (Truro), Y (York)."

Boggin's Dad adds :"I think Ripon would count, as Reading is a town rather than a city."

Optimist on the run plonks the cherry on top with "And I think Inverness"

That crowdfunded answer looks good to me! But who gets the ding ... now that's a conundrum for Yorkshire Yellow - it's going to be like infant school sports day ("You are all winners ... but ... ")

I think Pajaholic gets it - the Ding was for the first to name six of the eight

As it's more than a week since I posted my answer, I googled to confirm the above answers. Hopefully, the latest rule permits me (or anyone else for that) to jump in and post a new question to keep the thread moving. So, moving on to astronomy, a subject which I suspect interests some regulars on this thread:

In which constellation is the Horsehead Nebula to be found?

As it's more than a week since I posted my answer, I googled to confirm the above answers. Hopefully, the latest rule permits me (or anyone else for that) to jump in and post a new question to keep the thread moving. So, moving on to astronomy, a subject which I suspect interests some regulars on this thread:

In which constellation is the Horsehead Nebula to be found?

Orion, I think.

Is it something to do with dates of birth and your age in the second of each of the years mentioned?

I think you are right: 2nd year minus birth year gives age in the second year: 2025-1980 = 45 and so on....

That seems part of the answer, but I cannot help but think that is too simple. The age must be something to do with it, however what, I do not know.