The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

one of two countries that doesnt have VAT, the other being Luxemburg.

Wow, interesting! But not the answer I'm afraid, for one thing the dates don't fit.

According to the Guardian

"VAT is a continental invention. French tax authority apparatchik Maurice Lauré fathered the tax in 1954, although a tax that touched on every stage of the production process was first theorised in Germany a century earlier. VAT took its bow in the UK in November 1974"

I checked because I was worried my question might have an unintended second solution.

It's one of only two countries that are wholly landlocked by countries which are themselves landlocked. The other one is one of the 'Stans' I believe (Kyrgistan landlocked by Kazakhstan?)

Wow, interesting! But not the answer I'm afraid, for one thing the dates don't fit.

"VAT is a continental invention. French tax authority apparatchik Maurice Lauré fathered the tax in 1954, although a tax that touched on every stage of the production process was first theorised in Germany a century earlier. VAT took its bow in the UK in November 1974"

I checked because I was worried my question might have an unintended second solution.

It's one of only two countries that are wholly landlocked by countries which are themselves landlocked. The other one is one of the 'Stans' I believe (Kyrgistan landlocked by Kazakhstan?)

Ding to Sharpeset, a "doubly landlocked" country is what wikipedia calls it, defined there as

" ... surrounded entirely by one or more landlocked countries (requiring the crossing of at least two national borders to reach a coastline)."

The other is Uzbekistan

Over to you

Ding to Sharpeset, a "doubly landlocked" country is what wikipedia calls it, defined there as

" ... surrounded entirely by one or more landlocked countries (requiring the crossing of at least two national borders to reach a coastline)."

The other is Uzbekistan

Over to you

Thank you :)

Sticking with geography - where would you find a monk standing between a virgin and an ogre?

The other is Uzbekistan

Over to you

Thank you :)

Sticking with geography - where would you find a monk standing between a virgin and an ogre?

Sounds like fanciful names for rock formations to me: I'll guess they are sea stacks ... Shetland maybe ?

Thanks.

What supposedly happened on Sunday October 23rd 4004 BC, and who was it that worked out that date?

I think it was a mediaeval monk, possibly Augustine, who calculated that was when God created the world, according to Genesis.

Close enough, it was Archbishop Ussher in the C17th. He went back through the chronology in the bible to work out the day when the world was created.

Your go.

Thanks. I was driving through the village of Acton Trussell in Staffordshire today - the fictional village of Stackton Tressel was supposedly based on it. Who were Stackton Tressel's two most famous residents?

Hinge & Bracket .

I believe one of the duo has died , and the remaining chap ( yes, for those not familiar with them , chap !)no longer performs in that particular persona .

I always think of them when I see roadsigns for Marston Trussel round here ...

Ding - Dr Evadne Hinge and Dame Hilda Bracket, played by George Logan and Patrick Fyffe. Patrick Fyffe was born in Acton Trussell, and based the fictional village on his birthplace.

Sorry for the delay , I've been wrestling with the puzzles of a certain visually 9mpaired rodent ( and losing ...)

So , what links a Victorian explorer and writer with a more recent star of the silver screen ?

Ding - Dr Evadne Hinge and Dame Hilda Bracket, played by George Logan and Patrick Fyffe. Patrick Fyffe was born in Acton Trussell, and based the fictional village on his birthplace.

Sorry for the delay , I've been wrestling with the puzzles of a certain visually impaired rodent ( and losing ...)

So , what links a Victorian explorer and writer with a more recent star of the silver screen ?

No takers ?

OK, a little extra detail then :

Both individuals were male, both are deceased (OK, not a surprise for the Victorian chap ...) and both were British, although only the explorer/writer/translator was English. Apart from being dead male brits they share something very obvious.

We'll have a guess at they share a name - Richard Burton - one was a Victorian explorer of Arabia who went to mecca although not a muslim and the other the welsh actor.

The penny dropped whilst reading a book about early travellers in Arabia (we lived in Saudi Arabia for a while and have several books on the region) whilst listening to Jeff Waynes War of the worlds narrated by the Welshman, otherwise we would not have had a clue!

We'll have a guess at they share a name - Richard Burton - one was a Victorian explorer of Arabia who went to mecca although not a muslim and the other the welsh actor.

The penny dropped whilst reading a book about early travellers in Arabia (we lived in Saudi Arabia for a while and have several books on the region) whilst listening to Jeff Waynes War of the worlds narrated by the Welshman, otherwise we would not have had a clue!

Ding!

Whilst the much married Welshman is probably better known, the Victorian explorer was a particularly fascinating example of a bonkers Englishman abroad, and is well worth a little googleage to read about some of the things he got up to. Why some script writer hasn't pounced on his life story I don't know ...unless some of his adventures are still too outrageous...

I'm very pleased someone got it without any further clues, and from listening to an excellent album too !

Over to you

If by 'lakes' you mean large bodies of water, then it has to be somewhere in the teens.

If you're being sneaky, then my answer would be 'one'. As I recall, only one of the bodies of water in the Lake District has the word 'lake' in its name - Bassenthwaite Lake.

Ding to Yorkshire Yellow - not too sneaky a question.

One is the answer we were looking for, Bassenthwaite Lake is the only lake, the other bodies of water are all 'mere', 'tarn' or 'water'.

It depends on how you define "city". AFAICT, the most common definitions are "a conurbation that has a cathedral" and "a conurbation granted city status by royal charter". In either case, AFAICT, there are fewer than 100 cities in UK, so 8 is a significant proportion and hence the letter concerned must be a 'common' one. I couldn't think of 6 beginning with either A or B, so I'll try C and hope there are exactly two that I've missed: Cardiff, Chester, Coventry, Canterbury, Cambridge, Carlisle (I'm not sure of the last, but I could only think of those six!)

Hmmm... I read the question differently. I thought that we were asked to name six of the eight cities that have a unique first letter. Having checked Wikipedia, I can't attempt an answer but I counted eight cities that qualify. Maybe a clarification is needed.