The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

The Carthginians

Aplogies for the delay. I complety forgot. Have a belate Ding on me.

A belated ding feels more 'official' than a proxy ding, thank you, and thanks to TheOldfields for posting and thereby reminding you !

OK, new question then:

My sole source of knowledge about Ancient Rome is the novels of Steven Saylor, in particular I like his "Roma Sub Rosa" series of historical mysteries. What does 'sub rosa' mean ?

after a question from Speakers corner

I can confirm the answer was bread

After checking. the first meal eaten on the moon was bacon,

But the first food eaten on the moon was communion bread

As Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin prepared to take “one small step for man,” Aldrin wanted to commemorate the moment in a way he found most personally meaningful — by taking communion.

I just checked the Lunar 100 list and was surprised to see that whatever it is, it isn't listed as a significant Lunar feature for amateur astronomers to observe. That said, making this post gives me the chance to link the following image, which I captured a couple of weeks ago and of which I'm fairly pleased!

moon.jpg

I just checked the Lunar 100 list and was surprised to see that whatever it is, it isn't listed as a significant Lunar feature for amateur astronomers to observe. That said, making this post gives me the chance to link the following image, which I captured a couple of weeks ago and of which I'm fairly pleased!

....and rightly so!

As no-one seems to know the answer - the mountain is Mons Huygens - I will change the question.

How many manned Lunar landing has there been?

I'll guess 6

So much easier to guess a number than a scientists name !

The right answer for the DING. Over to you

My guess was a semi-educated one, but I couldn't recall if 12 or 10 astronauts had set foot on the moon, with this chap the last ...

So my vaguely related question: what should S.Y.Savitskaya be famous for ?

At a guess, the first woman in space.

No dimg.sorry/

That would be Valentina Tereshkova, but you are not far from the answer :this should give you an extra nudge in the right direction ...

First female space-walk?

Ding !

Did Eva help ? :laughing:

EVA = Extra vehicular activity, I believe, so a space-walk seemed the logical answer. I knew Leonov performed the first space-walk, and Speaker's Corner suggested Savitskaya was female, so I just put two and two together.

Now a seasonal question: What did Tom Smith of London invent in 1847?

Thanks Opti!

So, what is the connection between "Hark the herald angels sing" and "The Wedding March"?

Mendelsson wrote the music for both

That's ,the fellow - over to Sharpset!

Thanks

Who is quoted as saying "Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won't make it white"?

I am afraid that this question has lost its way slightly....

Hal-an-tow gave a good hint as the distance.

Beach Hut is closest, in fact within the five mile leeway I was prepared to give.

The correct answer is 55 miles.

The story behind the naming was that it took three days to travel the length of the sands when it was first discovered. The explorers summarised that it must be ninety miles as they could manage thirty miles a day. What they had not compensated for was the fact that walking on sand slowed them to twenty.

Over to the aptly named, Beach_hut DING