The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks. Staying with lakes, this is a two-part question. You only need to answer one part correctly for the ding, but bonus points for getting both:

1. What is the largest freshwater lake that is in an island that, in turn, is in a fresh water lake?
  2. What is the largest freshwater lake in the World?

No correct answers so far. Although Wikipedia names Lake Superior as the largest, it is with the caveat that another is hydrologically the largest by area. Another lake in another continent is the largest by volume (containing about a fifth of the World's fresh water by volume). Coincidentally, the answer to Q1 is a lake in an island in an answer to Q2!

That's enough to get the Ding.

For completeness, the largest freshwater lake by volume is (as stated) Lake Baikal in Siberia, which holds approximately 1/5 of the World's fresh surface water. The largest by area is Lake Michigan-Huron (Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are a single body of water in hydrological terms) which, at approx 45,000 sq miles is larger than the 32,000 sq miles of Lake Superior. The largest lake within an island within a lake is Lake Manitou, which is within Manitoulin Island, which is in Lake Huron.

Over to MartyBartfast ...

Ding to Sharpeset

Thank you: Sticking with Music, here's a vaguely topical two part question, both parts required for the DING:

Who wrote the music for the Royal Fireworks, and for which Royal?

Handel was the composer, and the monarch was George . Um, not sure about which George tho' !

I'll go for George the 2nd

Ding to Sharpeset

Thank you: Sticking with Music, here's a vaguely topical two part question, both parts required for the DING:

Handel was the composer, and the monarch was George . Um, not sure about which George tho' !

You went for the right one - a right royal DING to you Sire

Ding to Sharpeset

You went for the right one - a right royal DING to you Sire

Thanks for the ding ... 'Your Majesty' would be more accurate for the female of the species tho' :laughing:

As a side note, I enjoyed the (possibly apocryphal) story that "The Madness of King George" was preferred as a film title because if they'd called it "The Madness of George the 3rd", the film company thought swathes of folk would have stayed away, as they'd not seen episodes 1 or 2 ...

Anyway, proper music with a seasonal theme seems to be a good category, so try this one:

What links 7/8 of the Solar System to goblin retailing ?

Holst's planet suite?

That is 7/8 of the solar system (interesting factoid, Pluto was not discovered until 1930 so is not in the Planets Suite which was written earlier, and now it's demoted anyway, so isn't listed as a planet ... )but for a ding you need a link to the second part of the question ...

An extra irrelevant factiod which just swam to the front of my mind : the discoverer Herschel originally named Uranus planet George. Shame that didn't stick in my opinion.

As Gustav Holst was a 20th Century composer, I'll guess that he re-arranged the earlier Rosetti work?

No ding there I'm afraid, the chap you're thinking of was Rossetti with only one 's', unlike the two 's' Rossetti in question, who was not a musician.

If no one gets close by the end of today I'll add a hint.

As Gustav Holst was a 20th Century composer, I'll guess that he re-arranged the earlier Rosetti work?

No ding there I'm afraid, the chap you're thinking of was Rossetti with only one 's', unlike the two 's' Rossetti in question, who was not a musician.

No idea as to the Goblin reference above but I do know that Rossetti wrote 'in the bleak midwinter'. Someone must have set it to music so I'll hazard a guess it was our friend Gustav

No idea as to the Goblin reference above but I do know that Rossetti wrote 'in the bleak midwinter'. Someone must have set it to music so I'll hazard a guess it was our friend Gustav

And the musical ding goes Sharpeset :D

Christina Rossetti (not her more famous artist father, Ihope, sorry, suspect that could have misdirected some ) was a poet, her most famous work is 'Goblin Market'. She wrote the words, Holst the music, to 'In the Bleak Midwinter'

I noticed Holsts name at the top of the page in my school hymn book way back in the last century, and it took me to other works by him, and on to Elgar. Vaughan Williams,Sibelius, then diverted off to find out about English folk music, Rusby, various Carthys and the blessed June Tabor and eventually I arrived at the Levellers and Oysterband. A strange musical journey, all started off by a carol I rather enjoyed!

And the musical ding goes Sharpeset :D

Christina Rossetti (not her more famous artist father, Ihope, sorry, suspect that could have misdirected some ) was a poet, her most famous work is 'Goblin Market'. She wrote the words, Holst the music, to 'In the Bleak Midwinter'

I noticed Holsts name at the top of the page in my school hymn book way back in the last century, and it took me to other works by him, and on to Elgar. Vaughan Williams,Sibelius, then diverted off to find out about English folk music, Rusby, various Carthys and the blessed June Tabor and eventually I arrived at the Levellers and Oysterband. A strange musical journey, all started off by a carol I rather enjoyed!

Thanks - it's great how music can surprise and inspire. I'm going to stick with music for the next question, but slightly less classical:

Peter Tork, Davy Jones, Mike Nesmith..... who is missing?