The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well, I did not expect that stab in the dark to successful!

You have the choice of two questions, I will accept a correct answer for either:

Sticking with the music theme:

Where was I this weekend? And hence the late posting of this question.

Or

Which former member of the excellent Fairport Convention died earlier this year in June?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum. Been out all day.

My question is;

Just a minute or so after midnight, night of December 31st 1984/January 1st 1985, while in Parliament Square, London, what did Michael Harrison do? It was a 'first' for the UK.

Phoned someone to wish them Happy New Year? with a mobile phone?

That's good enough for me, Marty. He called his father in the first mobile phone call made on a UK network. So that's a *DING* and it's over to you........

I was given my first mobile a couple of years later to be on call for a bank over New Year, and that's the first thing I did with it :lol:

Anyway, next question:

Why was Maria de Cezar in the news in the last few days?

Thanks for the ding.

Thinking ahead to the paralympics...

Channel 4's 'Last Leg' first started as a late night show when the 2012 paralympics were on.

The theme music is a version of Public Enemy's 'Harder than you think'.

Which song does the sample featured heavily in Public Enemy's come from and who is the vocalist?

If you're not familiar with the track, then by all means have a listen to it at

FWIW, the OP (Simply Paul) implied that the question setter can permit Googling should a question drag:

In a post of 25th February 2012, the OP wrote:

Questions should be Pub-Quiz level and Internet searches aren't allowed to find the answer... unless things drag-on and the Questioner ok's Googling (or similar).

So you can authorise Googling for a question that drags and hence keep the thread moving.

HTH

BUMP !

It's weeks since the last question was set, then a second question, neither are apparently going to be answered. We could cheat and google ( and I believe we wouldn't be the first to do so :( )but we won't, and it would be a shame for the thread to die.

So, if there are no sudden answers , no new and do-able question from the last setter, or any objections I'll set a new question after the weekend to get the ball rolling again.

Boggin's Dad, seeing as my question has been adjudged to be too niche, I'll give you the 'ding!' for economics.

The prize is awarded for "that American economist under the age of forty who is adjudged to have made a significant contribution to economic thought and knowledge".

Over to you...

Thanks for the Ding

I have a question along similar lines, hopefully one or two people might know this one....

What is the name of the prize given to mathematicians under the age of Forty by the International Mathematical Union? It is awarded to up to four winners, every four years. The most recent meeting being held in Soeul in 2014.

Good Luck

Thanks. FWIW, other unusual things about "Bohemian Rhapsody" are that, at about six minutes long, it's about twice the length that was considered normal for a single at the time and it's one of the few 'pop chart' singles not to fit into a single genre.

Staying with music, and hoping that this isn't too niche! What is the standard tuning of a 5-string violin (i.e. to which notes are the strings tuned?)

I guess that a clue's in order. A 5-string violin combines the ranges of standard viola and violin. That is, the fifth string is tuned the same as the lowest string on a viola.

Right.

Music is not a poular round in this pub quiz is it ? We all go off to the bar for a refill ...

I know nothing whatsoever about the tuning of any string instrument apart from the guitar (EADGBE if I recall my long off teenage years correctly). But with 8 notes and 5 strings, ( as with the guitar there may be repetition though ... but not two leetrs the same next to each other I guess, and always a sequence ) Let's try some random guesses starting with the above for no good reason ...

EADGB , ADGBE , DGBEA GBEDA , BEADG , ABCDE , BCDEF , DEFGA , EFGHA , FGHAB , GABCD , ACEFG , CEFAG , ABCDE , BCDEF , CDEFGA , DEFGA, EFGAB, FGABC, ooh, I want to put GAGB something :laughing: GAGBA , GAGBC, GAGBD , GAGBE, GAGBF ... or is it some 5 letter word made of those 8 letters perhaps ? FADED, FACED, DECAF ,BADGE, CADGE, CAGED ?

Well, thank you,

I don't think I so much answered the question as bludgeoned it into surrender ...

Which immediately suggests the next question:

Who said

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

And to whom ?

Bonus smart alec points for giving the questioners version of the questioned persons name as well as the proper one.