The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Is that Farscape? If so I think the ship was called Leviathon or similar (or was that Alien?).

Marty you are right with Farscape. but not the ship name

Isn't the ship caled Myra or something along those lines.

sdg2g08

You are so close with Myra, the ship is actual called Moya.

As I have two correct answers, from two different players, I will let the first one of you to post the next question take the honors of the ding.

Africa? I'm guessing the Sahara Desert.

Sahara

This is already taken by radicalmm.

Sorry. Already taken. For a bonus if i'm right..

Here are the countries in the Sahara Desert:

Algeria, Chad, Egypt, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Western Sahara, Sudan and Tunisia.

Africa? I'm guessing the Sahara Desert.

Sahara

This is already taken by radicalmm.

Sorry. Already taken. For a bonus if i'm right..

Here are the countries in the Sahara Desert:

Algeria, Chad, Egypt, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Western Sahara, Sudan and Tunisia.

Whoaaa hold on guys, still wating on Boggin's Dad to give the DING .....

FWIW, sources checked after the fact note that the Arctic Desert is the second largest with the Sahara being third. Antarctic = 5.5 million sq miles; Arctic 5.4 million sq miles; Sahara 3.5 million sq miles. (Source, Geology.com)

Hmm

On further investigation using the old faithful, wikipaedia, one list acknowledges the Artic, and the other does not, however the Antartic is still (marginally) larger, and the ding is pointing at Hal-an-tow.

Thanks for the ding, I know it often suprises folk that a desert is defined by precipitation, not temperature.

On to the next question :

The recent death of Gordon Murray, creator and puppeteer of the classic Trumpton TV series got me reminiscing - so, what UK reviewer has a link with a childrens TV show ?

For the ding I want the reviewer name and the programme name please

It was indeed Graculus the wise old bird from Noggin the Nog. I assumed he was a raven mind you ( I vaguely recall Odin may have been associated with ravens somehow so it fitted the viking theme) but that'sneither here nor there.

Googling graculus got me this rather entertainingly appropriate academic paper

So a ding to you MartyBartfast (and I guess your second choice of caching name had gone too and you had to be 'Marty' instead of 'Slarty' :D Over to you ...

Thanks.

The Marathon race is supposedly based on a run made following the battle of Marathon in ancient Greece, but what was the name of the messenger who made the original run?

Phidippedes ? (that may well be some of the right letters in approximately the correct order )

Thanks.

The Marathon race is supposedly based on a run made following the battle of Marathon in ancient Greece, but what was the name of the messenger who made the original run?

Phidippedes ? (that may well be some of the right letters in approximately the correct order )

That's close enough for me, and pretty quick too.

Sometimes being a primary school teacher comes in handy B) , I have had to teach what one child memorably called 'The Ancient Geeks' a few times ...

Right-o, lets swerve to an entirely different bit of U.K. general knowledge:

Red, black, green. What changed from being those colours, and what are the latest colours used ?

Isn't a cajon a Peruvian instrument?

It is, and so you get the DING!

For completeness, it's a percussion instrument that looks a bit like an up-ended tea chest. You sit on it to play it and the sounds come from slapping the front of the instrument. FWIW, it's surprisingly versatile and becoming a regular sight on the folk-music scene.

Over to radicalmm...

"Lanterne rouge" means "red light". I suspect you might find one in the window of a house of ill repute. However, it's also the nickname given to the currently last rider in a cycling group; e.g. the currently last competitor in a cycle race such as the Tour de France or the current "tail end charlie" at a club run.