The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well that was a good guess....

In one of those Olympics Great Britain only won a single gold medal. Who won it? And for a bonus point where, and what year?

DINGDONG: Steward's enquiry, please hold onto your betting slips.

I just gave in to temptation and looked and there were three years in the 20th century when we only won 1 gold, two of them have already been mentioned.

Assuming that one of Sir Steve Redgrave's gold medals is correct, he didn't win gold by himself as he was always part of a boat crew. The smallest was the coxless pairs with Matthew Pinsent -- but I don't know whether that's the gold that Boggin's Dad is looking for? If so, Optimist on the run should get the ding as he was the first to name a medal winner.

I think a Steward's Enquiry was indeed needed. I did misread my source when I checked the information. However I was thinking of coxless pairs in Atlanta in 1996, so I shall DING Optimist on the run, and give him the Gold Medal for answering the first part with the answer I was thinking of.

Over to you,

Checking on wiki, the other two occassions were 1904 in St Louis Tom Kiely in 'Men's All-Round' which was a forerunner of the decathalon, and in 1952 in Helsinki, where was a wait until the last event on the last day, when the team Equestrian jumping gold was won. i would have been impressed if anyone had got either of those two.

Ok - moving away from Olympics, but staying with a Greek theme: Today is Pi Day (in American mm.dd.yy format) - i.e. 3.14

In the Greek Alphabet pi is the 16th letter. Which letters fall either side of it?

Forty years ago, a geography teacher at school tried to teach us the Greek alphabet (can't remember why...).

Scratching at the memory banks I'll go for Omicron and Psi

Ok - moving away from Olympics, but staying with a Greek theme: Today is Pi Day (in American mm.dd.yy format) - i.e. 3.14

In the Greek Alphabet pi is the 16th letter. Which letters fall either side of it?

Forty years ago, a geography teacher at school tried to teach us the Greek alphabet (can't remember why...).

Scratching at the memory banks I'll go for Omicron and Psi

Sharpeset has twanged my memory chords ( from rather longer than 40 yrs ago I fear) and my Housemaster - Michael Bishop - classic teacher extraordinary - I rather think Sharpeset is half way there and I will go for Omicron ("O") and Rho ("R") no "Q" in the Greek alphabet!

Since this thread has slid to a halt, here's a question for you.

What links Elvis Presley, Norris McWhirter and Rosie of the Dolly Sisters?

Something is nagging at the back of my mind that Elvis Presley had a twin. Norris McWhirter had a twin brother, Ross, who was murdered by the IRA. I've never heard of the Rosie from the Dolly Sisters, but I'll guess she had a twin too.

Edited by Optimist on the run

As Marty has yet posted a question, I'll take the liberty of doing so, in order that we can keep this thread going.

My question is: The America's Cup, the Loch Ness Monster and gliding - what's the connection?

I've been away for a while without internet access, so wasn't aware my question had ruin out of steam. So, thanks to @Simply Paul for posting a fresh question.

In case anyone's interested, the answer to mine was Sir Peter Scott, founder of the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust. He funded investigations into the existence of 'Nessie', was a national champion glider pilot and skippered a boat in a challenge for the America's Cup.

Since this thread has slid to a halt, here's a question for you.

What links Elvis Presley, Norris McWhirter and Rosie of the Dolly Sisters?

Something is nagging at the back of my mind that Elvis Presley had a twin. Norris McWhirter had a twin brother, Ross, who was murdered by the IRA. I've never heard of the Rosie from the Dolly Sisters, but I'll guess she had a twin too.

Twins was my gut feeling on this was as well when I first saw the question.

Thanks a DING! to OotR. Well, a Close Enough - they all outlived their twin by a large margain.

Sorry to Yorkshire Yellow - I'm not sure anyone would have got Sir Peter Scott without several more clues. Good bit of history though.

Over to OotR for the next pubby-type question!

John Cleese based Basil Fawlty on a hotel manager he encountered whilst filming in the area with the rest of the Python members. They all chose to move hotels, except for Cleese, who was apparently fascinated by the manager's behaviour and character, and so stayed on at the hotel to observe. I have a slight feeling the chap's name was a Scottish one.

I'm not sure about the other one but again have the feeling the author experienced an eccentric veterinarian on whom he based the book's character.

The Siegfried character was based on Herriot's real life partner, but Siegfried Farnon wasn't his real name. So I'll guess that the real hotelier and the real vet had the same name - don't know what it is though.

I'll give the ding to MartyBartfast. Both Basil Fawlty and Siegfried Farnon were based on real characters called Donald Sinclair.

Over to you...

Edited by Optimist on the run