The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I'm going to award the 'Ding!' to @hal-an-tow, as they're close enough.

The Naval Temple is located on The Kymin, just outside Monmouth, and is a monument to a variety of Admirals and Vice Admirals.

Nelson and other visited in 1802, and that event is commemorated by the cache I think you might be try to recall, 'Breakfast with Emma and Horatio',

Over to you for the next question.

Thank you for that slightly muffled ding for being close , that was indeed the cache I'd looked at.

New question then:

Richard Dawkins and the 4th Dr Who (the long scarf & jelly baby one), who or what is the link ?

Something in the back of my brain is telling me that Rickard Dawkins is/was married to a Dr Who actress and I know Tom Baker married one of his companions in real life - I'm going to speculate this was the same person?

Beach_hut (ah , we meet again ! My question puzzled you far less than your puzzle caches confounded me :lol: ) gets a very fast nerdtastic ding there.

The actress Lalla Ward was a 4th Dr Who companion and later married Tom Baker who played that version of the character.

Later on she was introduced to my hero Richard Dawkins by their mutual friend (and another hero) Douglas Adams. They got married

Edited by hal-an-tow

A complete guess - did the lady who played 'Jane' in Rainbow also appear in Dr Who?

I'll give you the Ding for that - it's not the connection I had in mind, but it's certainly correct.

I was thinking of Peter Hawkins, who was both the original voice of the Daleks, and the original voice of Zippy.

Over to YY :)

I love Rube Goldberg machines. They're overly complicated ways of achieving a simple task -- and there are competitions to see who can come up with the most steps, most elegant way etc. e.g. a machine that has rolling balls, dominoes, string-connected elevators etc. to turn the release of a single ball into the raising of a flag. In UK, these are better known as "Heath-Robinson" after the cartoons that illustrated them.

Thanks. Perhaps better known is the Honda Commercial for the Accord:

. I'm fascinated by the lateral thinking that goes into some of those machines.

For the next ding, a change of subject -- a picture question this time: You can see the stump of an old lighthouse in the picture below alongside the present-day lighthouse that replaced it. Where can you see the tower that used to sit on top of the stump?

800px-Phare-d-Eddystone-Rocks.jpg

Next question, and on a slight variation to the theme, words often thought to be by Shakespeare, but they're not. Who are they by?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach.

I think they are the opening lines of one of the "Sonnets to the Portuguese" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning..

Thanks. Following on the theme of famous, Irish poets/authors ...

Babcock also built Samuel Beckett's sister ship at Appledore. That ship, pennant number "P62", is also named after a famous Irish poet and author. For the next ding, what is his name?

A third vessel of the Samuel Beckett class is currently under construction and is also to be named after a famous Irish poet, who's name will get you a bonus point!

I too would have thought South Korea but I'll have a wild stab at this question to keep things moving since the ding has yet to be awarded.

Montreal 1976 was such a disaster (famously, the facilities weren't paid off until earlier this century) that I'll guess at Canada!