The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Its back to the pavilion for that question - over to you dodgydaved.

To enlighten those who didn't know about the West Indies v Zimababwe under 19 match settled by this dismissal, it is quite legal for the bowler to run out the non striking batsmen but it is considered polite to first warn the batsmen that he would be run out if the opportunity arose again.

If no warning is given and the dismissal occurs it is known as a "Mankad" after the Indian bowler who was the first to run out a non striking batsmen without giving the warning.

Sticking with cricket then, what county did Dr W G Grace play for?

Edited by dodgydaved

Well, I know that there's an ancient stone somewhere in Greece known as the omphalos which the ancients used to believe was the navel of the world. So I'll make the leap to the idea that omphalos means navel, and suggest that omphalophobia is the fear of navels.

Well, the voices were right this time, that's a huge beer belly laugh of a DING for you my friend :)

"Motituri te salutant" sounds like "We, who are about to die, salute you" ... so I guess it would be gladiators (although, from QI, I understand it's a bit of an urban legend)!

Gladiators it is. Although it's commonly quoted as "we who are about to die" it's actually, "Hail Caesar, they who are about to die salute you." It has one written source, recording that it was said in just one place, but legend now has it that all Gladiators said it.

Anyhow - it's a Dingus Maximus to Pajaholic.

Hmmm .. that's got me thinking. I need to clarify the question -- the wealth in question came almost entirely from participation in the sport, together with income (e.g. sponsorship, endorsements, etc.) arising from being successful in that sport. So someone, like Howard Hughes (whose wealth came from other sources) wouldn't qualify.

I think a rope goes more perpendicular to the ship's lenght to stop it moving sideways away from the dock and a spring goes fore and aft to prevent it moving forwards and backwards along the berth. Not sure though.

If this is correct please set the next question for me as ironicallyI will be able to find out first hand tomorrow.

Close enough. A head rope goes from the bow and leads forward; a stern rop goes from the stern and leads aft; breast ropes are perpendicular. A head spring goes from the bow and leads aft; an after spring goes from the stern and leads forward. So, DING (and bon voyage, I suspect!)

You've asked for someone else to set the next question. So changing topic, what links Stéphane Grappelli, Giuseppe Guarneri and Nicolo Amati?

DING to Sharpeset!

Stéphane Grapelli was a famous jazz violinist. Nicolo Amati was one of the famous violin makers of Cremona and the grandson of the person who pretty much invented the violin by adding a fourth string. Giuseppe Guarneri was also from Cremona and made violins at about the same time as Antonio Stradivari. Some rate Guarnerius violins over Stradivarius instruments.

Over to Sharpeset...

Ooh, ooh sir sir ( or possibly miss , miss !)

At last, after dropping by here many many times and only ever seeing questions I can answer after someone else has got them ... I (vaguely) know this one !

Its a monument to Nelson I think, up a hill somewhere near Monmouth in Wales ... one of those things built from public subscriptions.Theres a cache around there and I looked at the listing when I was visiting the area a while ago, but never got to any outside Monmouth itself.