The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks Marty - for what World Championship Event might The Golden Spurtle be awarded?

My initial feeling was that it is for the gurning championships, but thinking about it now, it sounds a little bit Harry Potter-esque!

Great minds think alike, as I was also thinking Harry potter, but as I am away for the next week decided not to enter this one, so I googled the answer and I would not have guessed the true answer. :yikes:

Fareham Town

Bournemouth

Weymouth

Crystal Palace

Aldershot

Cambridge United

Luton Town

Cambridge United

Birmingham City

Leicester City

Portsmouth (loan)

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Portsmouth

Millwall (loan)

Millwall

Weymouth

Brighton & Hove Albion

Brentford

Wycombe Wanderers (loan)

Wycombe Wanderers

Millwall

Gillingham

Bradford City

Walsall (loan)

Bournemouth

Worthing

Harrow Borough

Weymouth

Gosport

The question - which former footballer?

Edited by Yorkshire Yellow

bit of a punt, but having lived in Weymouth for many years I know of 3 ex- players who went on to greater glories. Two of them definitely don't fit the bill for this list, but possibly the third does, so I'll try Steve Claridge, as I know he certainly played for at least some of the long list mentioned...

Pete

Ding!

On a similar vein, but only using selected references rather than a complete list...

Silver Fox

Golden Eagle

Kingfisher

Falcon

Osprey

Golden Plover

Bittern......and many others

...all linked by which famous engineer / designer ?

Bittern is a bird and a steam train, so is Mallard (perhaps too much of a give away!) , so I'm going with Sir Nigel Gresley.

Ding!

On a similar vein, but only using selected references rather than a complete list...

Silver Fox

Golden Eagle

Kingfisher

Falcon

Osprey

Golden Plover

Bittern......and many others

...all linked by which famous engineer / designer ?

Bittern is a bird and a steam train, so is Mallard (perhaps too much of a give away!) , so I'm going with Sir Nigel Gresley.

Ding to Marty - Mallard was my clue in reserve should it be required. These were some of the 35 A4 steam locomotives desgined by Gresley

A guess - The Order of the Garter?

Nope limit is Sovereign, Prince of Wales and 24 others = 26 (2 vacancies at this time!). Sorry - No Ding :(

Order of Merit ? - (that's the one I aspire to) :D

Sorry - I missed this one yesterday - NOPE - mind in some ways closer.

Present holders of this include Mary Peters, Judi Dench, Desmond Tutu and Maggie Smith - oh and Lord Coe, but there are ...... 61 others :)

Yes, it is high time to move on.

From Wikipedia:

"The Order of the ********* ** ****** is an order of the Commonwealth realms. It was founded in June 1917 by King George V as a reward for outstanding achievements in the arts, literature, music, science, politics, industry, and religion. It is sometimes regarded as the junior order to the Order of Merit."

If no one gets it in 12 hours or so I will give the ding to civilised as being closish!!

From Wikipedia:

"The Order of the ********* ** ****** is an order of the Commonwealth realms. It was founded in June 1917 by King George V as a reward for outstanding achievements in the arts, literature, music, science, politics, industry, and religion. It is sometimes regarded as the junior order to the Order of Merit."

If no one gets it in 12 hours or so I will give the ding to civilised as being closish!!

Just googled so won't enter - but if it helps other quizzers, the first word needs an extra *....and it is a well known Order

From Wikipedia:

Just googled so won't enter - but if it helps other quizzers, the first word needs an extra *....and it is a well known Order

Cheers for that Sharpeset - I must have thinking in the singular :) :) I'll give it until tomorrow morning now!

OK, no more takers so I will give the DING, to civilised :)

The Oder of COMPANIONS of HONOUR (CH) is awarded as wiKi states above ^ . It is often thought of as a junior Ordser of Merot.

Civilised, over to you......:)

Never heard of that one !

Thanks for the ding

Cromwell Street = Fred & Rose West

Rillington Place = Reg Christie

Hilldrop Crescent = ?