The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I think the house is Chatsworth

A Devonshire and Hartington Ding to civilised!

Would you like to explain the connection dodgydaved? Or do you think that Devonshire & Hartington will convince players that we're not cheating :D :D :D

JFK's sister married the Marquis of Hartington (son of the Duke of Devonshire) and they lived at Chatsworth. She is buried in Edensor churchyard, Edensor being the estate village. Sorted!! :)

Would you like to explain the connection dodgydaved? Or do you think that Devonshire & Hartington will convince players that we're not cheating :D :D :D

JFK's sister married the Marquis of Hartington (son of the Duke of Devonshire) and they lived at Chatsworth. She is buried in Edensor churchyard, Edensor being the estate village. Sorted!! :)

Thanks for that

After the death of her husband, John Kennedy's sister Kathleen died in a plane crash with her lover

The lover was the owner of a house with allegedly the longest facade in Europe at 606 feet

What's the name of the house?

Thanks for that

After the death of her husband, John Kennedy's sister Kathleen died in a plane crash with her lover

The lover was the owner of a house with allegedly the longest facade in Europe at 606 feet

OK - some clues - the house was vandalised by Mannie Shinwell, in his capacity as Minister of Fuel and Power. Due to his hatred of inherited wealth, he turned the immediate surroundings of the house into the 'largest open cast mining site in Britain'

The house was later bought by a private individual, who has tried to sue the successors to the National Coal Board for subsidence caused at that time

It's in South Yorkshire

Thanks for that

OK - some clues - the house was vandalised by Mannie Shinwell, in his capacity as Minister of Fuel and Power. Due to his hatred of inherited wealth, he turned the immediate surroundings of the house into the 'largest open cast mining site in Britain'

The house was later bought by a private individual, who has tried to sue the successors to the National Coal Board for subsidence caused at that time

It's in South Yorkshire

I need to have think about this. I only read about this place (re the coal mining side of things) a few weeks ago...

Shall I give the answer ?

Don't like to hold the game up

You could open it up to Googling, or give a hint.

BTW I already googled and would never have guessed it.

Please feel free to get an answer in any way you can - the players here are able to answer really obscure questions (to me), and I tend to forget that others may not have the same interests as me :D

Thanks for that

It's in South Yorkshire

I need to have think about this. I only read about this place (re the coal mining side of things) a few weeks ago...

Nope,I can't remember it.

Another clue, perhaps?

I "knew" this place - but not by its correct name (which I googled). If it is OK by civilised I will add a little hint that could help cachers of a certain age that were teacher trained perhaps - Lady Mabel College!!

Yes of course - I'm a little embarrassed that this has gone on so long - and I must say that I don't think dodgydaved's hint is particularly helpful :D

I did say some time ago that i'd be happy if someone searched for it :ph34r:

I respectfully suggest that civilised just tells us the answer and moves matters on by setting us a new question.

Good idea - the answer is Wentworth Woodhouse, previously owned by the Earls Fitzwilliam, one of whom was the man who died with Kathleen Cavendish, Marchioness of Hartington, John Kennedy's sister

As Hellfire1917 made the suggestion, I'll pass the question setting to him/her, in the hope that something less obscure will come up :D