The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Having just watched the recent Poldark series that I recorded a while back, they were complaining about copper being mined more cheaply in Wales So I'll have a guess that it was somewhere on the South Wales coast... Swansea?

The issue wasn't that copper was mined more cheaply in Wales (which AFAICT doesn't have any significant copper deposits). The issue was that South Wales had the coal. As more coal than copper ore is required to smelt copper, it made economic sense to ship the ore to Wales rather than import coal into Cornwall -- and the smelters rather than the miners dictated the price of ore.

That said, Swansea was indeed nicknamed Copperopolis -- so a very rapid DING to Pharisee and commiserations to dodgydaved!

Forget it, wrong answer. I also googled after posting - Ive never heard of it.

I had no clue from the first question and was still non the wiser with the hint.

so I have goggled the answer and I have never heard of the film. :(

I'd always considered it one of the classic spy films.... You should watch it!!

Edited by Pharisee

:rolleyes: Not Alice Cooper :(

Although they divorced in the mid 1960's, Les Paul's wife was also his partner on stage and in the recording studio for well over a decade. They had a string of hits in the 1950s that included Tenessee Walz, Mocking Bird Hill, Bye Bye Blues, Lady of Spain, I'm Sitting on Top of the World, Vaya Con Dios and How High the Moon.

That is surprising.

On a similar theme who, although she was actually acquitted, allegedly:

... Took an axe

And gave her mother forty whacks.

When she saw what she had done,

She gave her father forty-one.

Edited by MTH

I have no idea which town is involved, but Nobody composed the hymn, "Onward Christian Soldiers". The hymn is just the words. The man I suspect Pajaholic is thinking of composed the tune, which is called "St Gertrude". It's a minor point, as we all know what Paja means, but hey - I remembered this from my days as a choirboy over 60 years ago and couldn't keep quiet!

Edited by Hellfire1917

I have no idea which town is involved although I can name the composer, but strictly speaking, nobody composed the hymn, "Onward Christian Soldiers". The hymn is just the words. The man I suspect Pajaholic is thinking of composed the tune we sing it to, which is called "St Gertrude". It's a minor point, but hey - I remembered this from my days as a choirboy over 60 years ago and couldn't keep quiet!

Edited by Hellfire1917

I need to remember that most songs are the result of collaboration between a composer and a lyricist. In the case of "Land of Hope and Glory", a portion of "Pomp and Circumstance" became "The Coronation Ode" -- otherwise known as "Land of Hope and Glory". While Elgar composed the tune, Arthur C Benson composed the lyrics.

That said, I googled to check -- to find my answer was incorrect. However, my checking reveals that the question is ambiguous and a bit of conundrum. The words were written before the tune we now associated with the hymn; and the lyricist paired the words with an existing work by a well-known classical composer. So there are two possible answers for the composer and one for the lyricist! ... but Hellfire1917 is correct: nobody composed Onward Christian Soldiers.

Camberley

I think....

North, England.

Hmmm, are you sure about that, I thought differently (not sure enough to plump for it though) and Googled.............Hmmmm!

Me too -- and AFAICT, the person in question has a blue plaque in the South East (also, I don't think the town in question is most famous for being this person's home :( )

Camberley

I think....

North, England.

Hmmm, are you sure about that, I thought differently (not sure enough to plump for it though) and Googled.............Hmmmm!

Me too -- and AFAICT, the person in question has a blue plaque in the South East (also, I don't think the town in question is most famous for being this person's home :( )

As there'a a difference of opinions on this one I'll leave it and invite someone else to post another question.

I think this might be a trick question, as I believe the D didn’t stand for anything.

I think that's Harry S Truman where he just added the S to fit in with other Americans - not even enough imagination to come up with a name

Still don't know what Ike's middle name is though :mad: