The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks for the ding. Still thinking about the Olympics- Winter and Summer- Who was the first sports person disqualified and banned after drug testing was introduced in 1967?

I'm sure it was one of the Scandanavians who tested positive for alcohol in 68 (Good job I'm not a competitor). I may have to resort to Wiki as my memory won't store the Scandanavian names!! I think he was stripped of his medal.

Edited by UncleMalcy

Thanks for the ding. Still thinking about the Olympics- Winter and Summer- Who was the first sports person disqualified and banned after drug testing was introduced in 1967?

I'm sure it was one of the Scandanavians who tested positive for alcohol in 68 (Good job I'm not a competitor). I may have to resort to Wiki as my memory won't store the Scandanavian names!! I think he was stripped of his medal.

I know it was a bronze medal. Dont know his name or what sport it was.

That's the ding- well done.

Thanks... I did have a little peek - does that make me a bad person??

An easy one then. Who is this??

Belarusian-born, she started training at age 8, entered a Belarusian sports school headed by coach Renald Knysh at age 9. First trainer was Elena Volchetskaya, an Olympic gold medalist but she was moved to Knysh's group a year later. Initially he found her "lazy and capricious" but he also saw potential in her great talent, unusually supple spine, and charisma. With him, she learned a difficult backward somersault on the balance beam. She debuted this at a competition in the USSR in 1969. In the same year, she completed a backflip-to-catch on the uneven bars; this was the first backward release move ever performed by a woman on bars.

Edited by UncleMalcy

My link

Clue : 1972

Had a little peek at what UncleMalcy ?

I just couldn't dredge up the name (I don't find Swedish names easy - it took me a month to read "The girl with the dragon tattoo") so I had a little peek at Wikipedia.

My link

I just couldn't dredge up the name (I don't find Swedish names easy - it took me a month to read "The girl with the dragon tattoo") so I had a little peek at Wikipedia.

So your advice would be, whenever we don't know the answer, to search for it ?

I don't have time to look for the relevant quote from Simply Paul - something along the lines of no googling - but doesn't it seem contrary to basic fairness ?

Would you do this in a pub quiz ?

Is there any point in attempting to compete with you ?

My link

So your advice would be, whenever we don't know the answer, to search for it ?

I don't have time to look for the relevant quote from Simply Paul - something along the lines of no googling - but doesn't it seem contrary to basic fairness ?

Would you do this in a pub quiz ?

Is there any point in attempting to compete with you ?

You are, of course, entirely correct.

The answer to my last question was "Olga Korbut"

I will pass the baton to you, Civilised, and will withdraw from the forum with my tail between my legs, suitably scalded.

Thanks for the DING. OK - staying with flying.

On the seafront in Dover there's a statue to a famous English pioneer flyer. Who is it?

Clues for those who don't live in Dover:

He was the first pilot to make a non-stop powered flight across the English Channel and back.

He was the first Briton to be killed in an aeronautical accident with a powered aircraft.

He was probably the first powered aircraft pilot to smoke a cigarette in flight, having successfully rolled and lit it in the air.

Edits - to include the phrase "powered" and "powered aircraft" to disqualify early balloonists.

Edited by Hellfire1917

You are correct -- it wasn't Sir Ranulph Fiennes!

For info, the flight took 120 calendar days (80 flying days) in 1998 and was documented in a BBC series first aired in 1999 and repeated on Discovery channels several times since. The flight set a world record, beating the previous World record of 175 days for circumnavigation in an open-cockpit, single-engined aircraft set in 1924.

I guess that we don't have as many microlight enthusiasts as I at first thought. To keep the thread moving, I'll authorise Googling. Please feel free to use an Internet search engine to help answer this question.

In that case, the gentleman concerned is Brian Milton. :)

Milton Keynes maybe?

In a roundabout way, you're right. (See what I did there?)

Ding to Sharpeset.

Thanks! Don't get me started on MK roundabouts!

Near to MK is a music venue closely associated with a recently-deceased legendary jazz musician. For the ding name either the venue, the musician, or his wife...

Thanks for the DING. I know nothing about Jazz, but remember the names Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine from my school days. I know nothing about MK either, beyond the fact that the trains I take to Euston sometimes stop there. So I'm going to ask about a different town.

I'm writing this in France, in the town of Epernay, which is the centre of the production of.......... What?

They were there mascots used at the 2012 Geolympix mega event in Oxford, organised by the originator of this post, SimplyPaul. No, hang on a minute, I think it was that much smaller gathering in London, in the same year with a similar name - The Summer Olympics.

I started reading your answer, and was thinking you have it wrong.

But then reading further I began to chuckle to myself.

That’s a ding to you

Depending on variant, copper with up to 30% tin. Some variants have other metals .. e.g. Ni Al Br also has nickel and aluminium in addition to copper and tin.

Edited to add: I suspect that my answer might not be complete enough Ni Al Br is only one variant. Other possible metals alloyed with copper and tin to form bronzes are phosphorous, iron, arsenic, silver etc. Even zinc can be included in a bronze (although copper and zinc usually make brass). Basically, copper alloyed with anything other than just zinc is a bronze.

If you really meant, "which metals make up the bronze used to make Olympic bronze medals?", IIRC this is usually an alloy of copper and tin with a small amount of zinc added to make the alloy easier to cast.

Edited by Pajaholic