The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Wrong Stevenson, the early locomotive I'm looking for was built by R Stephenson & Co in 1839 and was one of a dozen or so of a broad-gauge class built for the Great Western Railway. A replica of another locomotive of that class can be seen at Swindon Steam Railway Museum.

The last BR steam locomotive commissioned was built in 1960 and got her name from a competition to come up with the best name. AFAICT, she is the only British main line locomotive to be chosen for preservation before she finished construction and she can currently be seen at the National Railway Museum in York.

Wrong Stevenson, the early locomotive I'm looking for was built by R Stephenson & Co in 1839 and was one of a dozen or so of a broad-gauge class built for the Great Western Railway. A replica of another locomotive of that class can be seen at Swindon Steam Railway Museum.

The last BR steam locomotive commissioned was built in 1960 and got her name from a competition to come up with the best name. AFAICT, she is the only British main line locomotive to be chosen for preservation before she finished construction and she can currently be seen at the National Railway Museum in York.

That was the Evening Star

It's a bit of a tie-break with Pajoholic and speakers corner. Both 0.02 out. Correct answer is 0.78 sqr mile or 2.02 sqr km.

So I know technically one is slightly closer, but for a bit of fun it is a DOUBLE DING, and the winner is 'fastest finger first' so whoever gets the next question in first wins.

I can come up with five:

Brooklands, Aintree, Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Donnington

I believe all of these have hosted grand prix, with Donnington being the European race rather than the British but it is still in the UK. Classic race won by the great Ayrton Senna.

Might have missed one....

That cache is 'only' about a fifth as deep as the Challenger Deep -- nonetheless, it's gotta be one humdinger of a cache to log!

In the interests of keeping this thread going, I'm giving martin&lindabryn the DING. For the record, only three people have been to the bottom of the Challenger Deep: Jacques Piccard and Don Walsh in Trieste in 1960; and James Cameron in Deepsea Challenger in 2012.

Over to martin&lindabryn

thank you for the ding :rolleyes:

now for a change of subject

Name the only female competitor at the 1976 Summer Olympic Games in Montreal who didn't have to undergo a sex test?

Go a feeling that was Princess Anne. Don't think the organisers wanted to start World War III :lol:

I'll take a stab at it being an early Uriah Heep album. Very 'eavy, very 'umble was their first and ISTR it being one or two after that -- so early 1970s (1972?)

That's a kudos laden DING to you. It was their 4th album, released in early '72.

Edited by Pharisee