The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I remember using InfoSeek in 1995, but I don't think those guys were behind that either. ISTR they created the algorithm behind Google, which they called "PageRank", first and proved its capabilities. Then a venture capitalist wrote them a very large cheque made to "Google Inc", a company that at the time did not exist..

Pagerank is the name of the algorithm, but it's the name of the site I'm looking for. I'll drop a clue in a bit later...

<Taps Screen> Hello? Anyone there going to tell us if we're right?

Well it wasn't my question but I googled the answer (how ironic :) ) and nobody's right yet. The name rings a bell and I've a feeling this question has come up before in this quiz (if not this then another one I participate in).

Sorry, got to stop typing now I've got a bit of ache in my lumbar region and need to go get something done to it ;)

Apologies for not checking in sooner.

Most of you have answered with names of other search engines. This is basically what google was called before it was google. Pagerank is close but it's the name of the algorithm they used.

The name came from the way the search engine originally ranked sites by how many sites linked back to it.

Would you believe that the answer was just given out as part of a commercial on Classic FM. If they're right, it was called 'Back Rub'

That's the DING for you!

Sorry... I don't have a question ready and I'm away over Easter so if someone else would like to jump in...... :)

I'll have a go then...

What 'first' did Constance Markievicz achieve?

You've just done the BBC news Political quiz haven't you ;) ?

First woman to be elected to the commons, but didn't take her seat due to being Northern Irish, Nancy Astor was the first woman to take a seat on the commons.

Ding!

Yes, I did! (in my lunch break).

Sorry that one didn't last too long - but at least between us we've got the thread going again.

Your turn...

Aaah, age is coming through.

Scot, Virgil, Alan. Um, I dont know the others, but then there was Lady Penelope, her butler / Chauffeur. Then there was the bad guy whoses eyes lit up. I was scared of him.

The first three are right, just looking for TB 4 & 5 then.

BTW Parker was the chauffeur and The Hood :ph34r: was their nemesis.

its strange how things happen. this was one of my favorite programs when I was a lot younger. i was checking my email and flicking channels on the TV and up pops the new version of Thunderbird

Scott Tracy Thunderbird 1 Thunderbird 3 co-pilot

Virgil Tracy Thunderbird 2 pilot

Alan Tracy Thunderbird 3 Thunderbird 5

Gordon Tracy Thunderbird 4 Thunderbird 2 co-pilot

John Tracy Thunderbird 5 Thunderbird 3

its strange how things happen. this was one of my favorite programs when I was a lot younger. i was checking my email and flicking channels on the TV and up pops the new version of Thunderbird

Scott Tracy Thunderbird 1 Thunderbird 3 co-pilot

Virgil Tracy Thunderbird 2 pilot

Alan Tracy Thunderbird 3 Thunderbird 5

Gordon Tracy Thunderbird 4 Thunderbird 2 co-pilot

John Tracy Thunderbird 5 Thunderbird 3

That's F.A.B. to you!

It was a discussion on the new version that brought it to my mind, I'm gonna try and watch it for old time's sake.

OK, I'll throw a guess in as my horse-racing knowledge is limited....

2000 guineas?

sorry but no ding

HINT

the race has been run within the last two weeks

Ah Ha! The hint confirms my suspicions.

The longest horse race during the flat season - is a steeplechase!! :o :o The Grand National methinks :lol: :lol:

OK, I'll throw a guess in as my horse-racing knowledge is limited....

2000 guineas?

sorry but no ding

HINT

the race has been run within the last two weeks

Ah Ha! The hint confirms my suspicions.

The longest horse race during the flat season - is a steeplechase!! :o :o The Grand National methinks :lol: :lol:

dodgydaved gets the jumping DING, over to you