The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

(At least according to my calculations) there are only four points in England from which it is not theoretically possible to see a higher point, assuming a clear enough day and ignoring issues of tree cover, buildings on the summit etc. The southernmost is High Willhays on Dartmoor - Exmoor is just high enough to block line of sight to the south Wales peaks.

In which county is the northernmost?

EDIT: corrected question as per notes below

Edited by crb11

I think it probably is, but it isn't in England. I'm looking for the northernmost of the four in England.

I should point out also that I've disregarded everything under 10m (since I didn't have accurate enough data) - there are certainly parts of the Fens where a 9m high hill would satisfy the conditions.

Edited by crb11

No - you need a clear day, but you can see the Lake District (Scafell Pike is 83 miles), and (at least in theory) at least three Munros - Ben Lawers, Ben Vorlich and Stob Binnein.

A hint: you're looking for something much lower (which stops you being able to see so far).

Lets have another go, then... There a trig point on the top of the Gog Magog hills, in Wandlebury Park just southeast of Cambridge. It's claimed that if you look north from there, the next higher point is over the north pole in Russia. Not sure about the other directions but it's all pretty flat around there. Is that one of the places you're looking for?

No... that's local to me and you can see much higher ground to the SW.

This is much harder than I thought, so here's a more specific hint. The place in question is between 100 and 150m high, it's called "Hill" and there's nothing else as high within about 40 miles.

Leith Hill (about 10 miles away) is one of the four points, but not the most northerly.

If nobody gets the correct county by 5pm, I'm going to award it to the person who has nominated the nearest point to the hill in question.

Not very north, but how about Ivinghoe beacon in the Chilterns? Used to go on family picnics there as a kid and watch gliders. Nothing to see but flatness for miles

So the DING goes to Pharisee at about 70 miles away: the county is Norfolk and the hill Beacon Hill on the north coast - nothing else of any height until you get down into mid-Suffolk.

The other three points in England are Leith Hill in Surrey and Walbury Hill in Berkshire, together with High Willhays in Devon.

Would that be Roseberry Topping, at the North of the North Yorkshire Moors, not too far from Great Ayton if my memory serves me correctly.

It would indeed... and a right pig it was to climb. I seem to remember being almost on my hands and knees at one point and all to log the trig at the top!!

A DING to you.

Lets have another go, then... There a trig point on the top of the Gog Magog hills, in Wandlebury Park just southeast of Cambridge. It's claimed that if you look north from there, the next higher point is over the north pole in Russia. Not sure about the other directions but it's all pretty flat around there. Is that one of the places you're looking for?

Except the trig point in Wandlebury Country Park isn't the highest point in Cambridgeshire [that's in Great Chishill, nearer Royston in Hertfordshire] and it's on the edge of a clump of trees, in a field, surrounded by trees. On a clear day, you can see Ely Cathedral from the edge of the Park, overlooking the golf course.