The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ding. I thought that was an easy one

Over to you

Thanks for the ding - although I resent the implication that I only get the easy ones :D

The man who bought Avebury in Wiltshire in the 1930s, to allow him to excavate archaeologically the village and its surroundings, inherited the money to do so from his family business. On what was the business originally founded and best known for making?

Ok here's mine.

When Captain James Cook set off on his epic First Voyage, he was told he could look around for any possible Southern Continent, but that was secondary. Before that he had to locate a very precise spot on the earth (bit like Geocaching) and carry out a specific task. What was it?

H

Edit - I mean what was the task, not what was the precise spot.

Edited by Hellfire1917

Give Me n u a ding - absolutely correct.

He had to find Tahiti (one of only a few South Sea islands whose latitude and longitude were accurately known) and observe the Transit of Venus across the face of the sun.

H

Thank you, staying on the same subject, observing the transit of Venus enabled astronomers to calculate what?

The distance of the earth to the sun?

DING to Speakers corner, once an accurate distance to the sun could be calculated then the size of the solar system could be calculated as Kepler had already calculated the relative distances of the planets from the sun in terms of earth - sun distance, known as 1 astronomical unit (AU.

The cycle is 75-76yrs, so Ill give you a DING for that.

Thanks for the Ding.

What's the technical name for this event, when an asteroid/comet/similar reaches its closest point to the sun? And What is the name for the opposite, when it is at its furthest from the Sun?

The former is perihelion - so I am guessing the latter is something like apihelion? (Which my spellchecker did not like, so I will drop the "I" and say) aphelion (which it did!!)

The former is perihelion - so I am guessing the latter is something like apihelion? (Which my spellchecker did not like, so I will drop the "I" and say) aphelion (which it did!!)

That's a DING dong merrily on high for you :-)

Let me try to stick with the theme.

What is the simple etymology of the name "comet"?

Basically looking for a three word phrase where the longest word has 4 letters (or a variation on it!)