The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Two of the London livery companies - I think one of the two was the Mercers. They got to do something in order of precedence (date of foundation?) but two were equal sixth, so one year one was sixth and the other seventh, and the next they swapped over.

Right idea - but for the ding which 2 worshipful companies - not the Mercers I am afraid.

Two of the London livery companies - I think one of the two was the Mercers. They got to do something in order of precedence (date of foundation?) but two were equal sixth, so one year one was sixth and the other seventh, and the next they swapped over.

Right idea - but for the ding which 2 worshipful companies - not the Mercers I am afraid.

:) I knew I'd come across this recently but couldn't figure out where - it was while researching for your Dad's "Other Place"! But I had to google to come up with the right two.

Edited by MartyBartfast

:) I knew I'd come across this recently but couldn't figure out where - it was while researching for your Dad's "Other Place"! But I had to google to come up with the right two.

I could rename it "Little Brother's Fave Place" as he is now the Master of the Company :)

OK I don't think there will be any more takers in the next 5 minutes or so and I will therefore award the undisputed DING to crb11.

The Merchant Taylors School was indeed founded by the Worshipful company of that name. They were founded in 1484 as was the Worshipful Company of Skinners.

Apparently they rowed over who came first (ie 6th in the order of precedence) for over a hundred years until the then Lord Mayor decreed they would alternate on an annual basis between 6th in the order and 7th.

Mind a similar phrase also appears in Chaucer some hundred years prior to that - but it is a nice story anyway!!

Over to you crb11 :)

(typos and speelink)

Edited by dodgydaved