The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I'd guess at a drive wheel diameter of 6ft or so. Add some pi and I've a figure of 19ft approx. 125ish mph is 183ft per sec, or approx. 580rpm at the wheel. No idea if there's any form of gearing in a steam engine though, so this could be way off.

That's just about close enough for a DING, Paul.

The driving wheels are 6 feet 8 inches in diameter and the speed was 125.88 m.p.h. That works out to 528.91 r.p.m. assuming there no wheel spin. No gearing, the connecting rods are coupled to the driving wheels.

The three similar items all "have" something which is the same very common word, although with different meanings. The odd one out fails to "have" something which is a fourth meaning of the same word, and the joke plays on the confusion between this meaning and a fifth meaning of the same word.

IIRC, a "split" is an American Football 'play'. It's also been the political state of Northern Ireland; and particle physicists have been known to split the odd atom. The only way I can think of an elephant "splitting" is by "getting out of here"! So I'll guess that "split" is the very common word; but I have no idea of the joke! :(

Oh dear. To clarify the hint: if all four were linked, then something in American football would be called X, something in Northern Ireland would be called X, something to do with elephants would be called X, something to do with particle physics would be called X. Four Xs, but a different meaning in each case. Except that one of these four isn't true, and there's a joke about it.

The joke also features a duck.

Oh dear. To clarify the hint: if all four were linked, then something in American football would be called X, something in Northern Ireland would be called X, something to do with elephants would be called X, something to do with particle physics would be called X. Four Xs, but a different meaning in each case. Except that one of these four isn't true, and there's a joke about it.

The joke also features a duck.

No idea of the joke, but could the word possibly be 'Down'?

Logic being:

American football features eg "first down and ten";

There's a County Down in NI;

Picking up on the Oldfields suggestions, I believe quarks can be classified as 'up' or 'down' (used to work in nuclear fusion facility -in admin- but surrounded by physicists discussing such things over coffee at lunchtime);

That leaves elephants: can't think of a 'down' connection, but since you mention that the joke features a duck, could that duck possibly be an eider duck, giving an eider down link?

Pete

That's the connection, and I'll give you the ding for it.

The joke is: "How do you get down off an elephant?" "You don't, you get down off a duck." (I'd seen it regularly, but think I was into my teens before I understood it.)

Thanks- ah yes, remember it now :)

What word links the “Wizard of Oz” with the top goal-scorer in the 1990 World Cup finals?

The joke is: "How do you get down off an elephant?" "You don't, you get down off a duck." (I'd seen it regularly, but think I was into my teens before I understood it.)

What word links the “Wizard of Oz” with the top goal-scorer in the 1990 World Cup finals?

The goalscorer was Salvatore Schillaci, who I believe was also known as Toto.

Edit to finish joining the dots: and Toto was Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz

Edited by Beach_hut

The goalscorer was Salvatore Schillaci, who I believe was also known as Toto.

Edit to finish joining the dots: and Toto was Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz

Back of the net! - over to you...