The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

A different Queen for the next question. What was the name of the band Roger Taylor and Brian May were in before they were in Queen?

:) (yes, that's my answer...)

That's a DING. I had to look twice then. The answer is Smile. Over to you, Sharpeset.

Thanks - on a related note, under what stage name did Freddie Mercury perform before hooking up with Roger, Brian (and of course John)forming Queen?

Well Freddie was born Farrokh (sp?) Bulsara, and changed his name to Freddie as a teenager I think, but I believe the Mercury came later. Is it Freddie Bulsara you're after?

Nope sorry. The name I'm after was one he used for a specific recording project. I have to confess though that, having checked my facts, this project took place while he was already in Queen (not before as my original question stated). By way of clue, the name was a very glam one, alliterative and designed as a 'nod' to another glam pop star of the time (now very much discredited) and sparkly costumes.

I'll leave the question for a couple of days: if no takers by Saturday I'll set a different, possibly less obscure one.

Pete

Well Freddie was born Farrokh (sp?) Bulsara, and changed his name to Freddie as a teenager I think, but I believe the Mercury came later. Is it Freddie Bulsara you're after?

Nope sorry. The name I'm after was one he used for a specific recording project. I have to confess though that, having checked my facts, this project took place while he was already in Queen (not before as my original question stated). By way of clue, the name was a very glam one, alliterative and designed as a 'nod' to another glam pop star of the time (now very much discredited) and sparkly costumes.

I'll leave the question for a couple of days: if no takers by Saturday I'll set a different, possibly less obscure one.

Pete

Is the name you're looking for Larry Lurex?

Pete

Is the name you're looking for Larry Lurex?

It is indeed, for a right royal DING

Yay! :)

Ok... Since this is the week that the 5 meter tall gold statue of Freddie Mercury was removed from Tottenham Court Road (London will never quite be as awesome again without it), I'll stick with another Freddie question...

Where was he born?

Zanzibar, can't be more specific than that though.

Yay! :)

Ok... Since this is the week that the 5 meter tall gold statue of Freddie Mercury was removed from Tottenham Court Road (London will never quite be as awesome again without it), I'll stick with another Freddie question...

Where was he born?

Zanzibar, can't be more specific than that though.

Ding!

Good enough for me! :)

Kœhler invented a gun-carriage allowing the axis of the gun to be depressed to an angle of seventy degrees. This was demonstrated during the Great Siege of Gibraltar on 15 February 1782 at Princess Royal's Battery. This new carriage enabled the defending guns to take advantage of the height of the Rock of Gibraltar.

Kœhler invented a gun-carriage allowing the axis of the gun to be depressed to an angle of seventy degrees. This was demonstrated during the Great Siege of Gibraltar on 15 February 1782 at Princess Royal's Battery. This new carriage enabled the defending guns to take advantage of the height of the Rock of Gibraltar.

Nice one, over to you!!

Nice one, over to you!!

I knew that but didn't get in quickly enough!!

Nice one, over to you!!

I knew that but didn't get in quickly enough!!

I didn't know but I didn't have Wiki to hand either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know but I didn't have Wiki to hand either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some people do just know things.
And some people plagarise almost word for word. :P And I know little! :rolleyes:

Sorry I did not know it was against the rules to look up an answer. I've only just started using this forum and now see why others don't use it. There was plenty of time for you to answer before I did but obviously you had to look up the answer to see I had used a Wiki. If your going to be so pathetic I don't see the point of playing this quiz. The answer to my question is 1903 - over to you JoLuc, I'm off and leaving this game to sulking little brats like you!