The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

is it the name of the last (?) flying Avro Lancaster?
A Dam-Busting DING! for that. There's a Canadian one still flying, which is why I said 'pretty much' unique. Over to you!

Thank you, we have no idea where we picked up that bit of information, never mind remembered it!

Anyway, a bit of a change now - the TV series "Shameless" is set on which fictional Manchester estate?

looks like its time for a hint

"By giving voters the final say on legislation, this countries system of direct democracy kept women out, but at the same time the extensive autonomy of even the smallest administrative units gave them their chance to break in to political life. It was a tiny commune in Canton Valais that, in 1957, was the first to allow its women members to vote. Several cantons gradually followed suit, and in the 1960s women started occupying more and more important positions in local parliaments and governments. In 1968 the country's third largest city, had a woman mayor - but she still couldn't vote in federal elections.

This advance did not prevent suggesting that when this country signed the human rights convention of the Council of Europe, it should opt out of those parts calling for sexual equality. The uproar this provoked forced the government to revise its position. A new referendum was put to the country.

The result: on February 7th 1971, by a two thirds majority, finally gave their female compatriots their full federal voting rights."

A complete guess following your clue. An MP was claiming sweeties on his expenses

That's the Ding. Mona Sahlin, a Swedish Politician (and lady, as Paul said) was accused of using a working expense account to fund personal expenses. The affair got its name after Toblerone bars were included on the expenses claim.

Over to Roger.

Goodness. That really was a complete guess - possibly revealing my opinions of politicians.

Anyway onward and upward to something different.

Midhurst White ; Norfolk Grey; Staffordshire Blue;

Which is the odd one out and to avoid it having a 33% chance of a correct guess you must say why it is the odd one out.

Edited by Just Roger

Norfolk Grey is a breed of chicken. Assuming SP's assertion re Stafford Blue is correct, I suspect that Midhurst White is either a type of cheese or a breed of poultry -- to me it sounds more like poultry; so I'll guess that Stafford Blue is a cheese and the other two are breeds of poultry?

Not quite there yet.

Norfolk Grey is indeed a chicken

A Staffordshire blue is not

A Midhurst white is also not (You are right that far)

So what are the blue and the white? Clue: They would do a lot of damage if you tried to eat them - especially to your teeth.

Bricks.

and first to jump can set next Q

Well done T&C - that's a DING

Staffordshire Blues are a very hard engineering brick and there are millions of them all over the railways in bridges viaducts and other structures.

Midhurst whites are a very soft brick mainly used in side as they erode quickly in the weather.

Over to SP

Is it "Quatermass and the Pit"? Was Hobbs the name of the tube station?

That film is on the TV this afternoon... 15.:55 on the Horror Channel ( Sky 316, Virgin 149 & Freesat 138)

As kid, I watched it as a serial on the television (also The Quatermass Experiment and Quatermass II which preceeded it )... Mostly from behind the sofa :lol:

Is it "Quatermass and the Pit"? Was Hobbs the name of the tube station?
A martian DING! for that. Hobbs End was the fictional tube station where 'things were unleashed' in this excellent movie version of the 1958-59 Nigel Kneale penned BBC-TV series of the same name. I'm lucky enough to have both on DVD. Over to you!

That's a DING! for Beach Hut.

Thanks very much.

Quick and hopefully straight-forward question next. What English word derives from the Italian word for 'to turn a somersault'?

EDIT: apologies, I've re-checked my sources and seen I've worded the question incorrectly. Sorry Pajaholic.

Edited by Beach_hut

"Fall" is "cadere" or "cascare". However, several languages have similar forms for the same semantic and so the following could have derived from the Italian (or another language from the same root):

From cadere, we have cadence, cadenza, etc. From cascare, we have cascade etc.